Whirlpool Immersion Chiller with Hop Filter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregKelley

Reaction score
I'm looking to implement Jamil's whirlpool immersion chiller. My question involves filtering the wort. I have seen the hop stopper made by IHomeBrewSolutions in action and like it. However, they claim that the break material created in chilling will create a film that will block theirs and everyone else's screens.

I brew with both pellets and cones because I grow my own hops. Since I'll be using a pump to circulate the hot wort, I need some sort of a filter to keep the pump from clogging. Furthermore, I'd like the filter to leave the hops and trub behind.

So for those of you that use the whirlpool immersion chiller, do you:

1. Use a hop screen of some sort?

2. Create a copper tube manifold to attach to the pick-up tube to filter the hops?

3. Use no filter and just deal with the clogging (not likely)?

Finally, while on this topic, if someone has pump recommendations, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

I have an immersion chiller and whirlpool with a pump

1 no
2 no
3 yes and there is no clogging (I use pellet hops)

The chugger and march brand pumps are very popular. I have a Chugger pump and it works good for the whirlpool and transferring the cooled wort from the kettle to the fermenter.

I am just setting up my new system, and plan to try this:
http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14455

Unfortunately my kettle will be electric with an element where the trub catcher should go, but I am hoping if i have the catcher offset to the opposite side of the drainvalve it will still catch the crud.

If anyone ends up trying this, please post your results!

Back