Whirlpool/aerate question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exf5003

Reaction score
Hi all, newbie to homebrew with only 2 extract kits under my belt.

I’m about to start my first IIPA and have a couple of questions with my planned technique.

After my boil I will cool with immersion chiller until a temperature of approx. 70 degrees.
I will then remove chiller and use a drill mounted stir to quickly create a whirlpool and not get so much trub in fermenter.
I will let the whirlpool sit for 30 minutes or so and then auto-siphon to brew bucket or carboy(I have both bucket and carboy- any reason why I should use carboy over bucket?).
I will top off to 5 gallons and then use drill stirrer to aerate further and lastly pitch yeast.

Does this sound okay? Any suggestions with my process?

I originally wanted to just transfer over with painters strainer bag and not worry about whirlpooling but I currently do not have any.

Also, when aerating with drill stirrer it can get pretty aggressive and start foaming. Should foaming be a concern? I’ve heard that you really cant over aerate and the more air the better for higher ABV beer so I’m not sure if foaming is a bad thing then.

Thanks in advance!

30 mins is probably overkill for allowing it to settle on a partial boil. 20 should be just fine. Just take extra care to siphon from a single spot so it doesn't move around and disturb the trub cone in the middle.

Carboy will allow you to see your beer and verify activity.

You are correct that it's almost impossible to over-aerate by agitation.

Back