whirlfloc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I added mine in last 15 min. according to instructions. Haven't bottled yet though so not sure how it worked.

Yes, 15 minutes left in the boil is the appropriate time to add the Whirlfloc. But after using Irish moss, Whirlfloc and gelatin fining I would recommend just skipping the Whirfloc in favor of using gelatin. Much better clarifying properties, IMHO. I've used Whirlfloc + gelatin and just gelatin with no visibly discernible difference.

1 tsp per 5 gallons, bloomed in cold water for one hour then heated (but not boiled) enough to dissolve it in the water. I add mine during the bottling process, but it can be done anytime after primary fermentation is complete.

501irishred said:
How many are you using at a time? I've never counted how many come in a pack, but all told they cant be more than 20-30 cents a piece and one is enough for a 5gal batch........

Yeah. They are real cheap. I was told just to add one tab per 5 gal batch, but forgot when to put it in. I'm not too concerned with clarity but the old lady is. Thanks for the help!

My bad guys I though it was higher than 2 bucks for 10 batches. That stuff does work like a champ if you can cold crash quickly. The bottom of my pot looks like a cow patty from all the cold break that drops out.

I throw one tab in a 12gal batch, in the last 5 min, becasu the best hops are at flame out and I stir or Whirlpool for 15-20min after flame out. The temp stays at about 209F until it hits the plate chiller.

I always add Whirlfoc at the same time I put in my wort chiller. I only use gelatin if I'm taking the beer to a festival.

+1. And even then I'll be using a whirfloc as well. I use gelatin on an as-needed bases if I didn't get the clarity I was hoping for from the other methods. It's good to have available because it's never "too late" to use it before bottling....

I have noticed when browsing a few homebrew supply websites, that the product description is saying to only add the whirlfloc for the last 5 minutes of the boil, as any longer time at boiling temps will actually reduce the ability of it to clarify. I think it said something like it de-natures the proteins...but I could be getting terms really mixed up...I am no expert.

Has anyone experimented with this, or noticed any real difference if added at the last 5 minutes vs. the 10 or 15 minute mark? I mostly added mine between 10-20 minutes (only using 1/2 tab for 5g batch), but most of beers are still kind of cloudy after bottling. I can see shapes/shadows through the glass, but cannot discern words/letters. It sounds like gelatin would be a good route to go, but I am curious if others can get crystal clear beer with whirlfloc alone?

My kits come with a Whirlfloc tab. Havent tested the diffrence between 15min and 5min.

I put it in at the last 15 mins. They come out crystal clear in the glass.

Is this for all grain or extract? My extract brews seemed to come out naturally much clearer than my all grain batches. They both tasted fine, but there is something about a crystal clear beer that is enjoyable as part of the whole experience. Sounds like I just need to buy some gelatin and use both...

All grain. I used whirlfloc with extract and all grain. I seemed to get more precipitate when doing all grain versus extract. I probably only did 5 extract batches before going all grain.

Panic not, grasshopper!
Use one single whirlflock per 5 to 10 gal of wort.
Not 2! Just one!
I use one per 10 gal batch, single stage ferment, cold crash, and my beer is as clear as a bell

Back