Whirlfloc. Your thoughts...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richlong8020

Reaction score
I used Whirlfloc tablets for the first time in some of my brews. Not sure if I notice a difference or not. Any recommendations would be helpful. When to add it? How much for a 5 gal batch?

Suggestions to better my process in brewing?

Half a tablet at 10 min. or so left in boil.

This is what I do. And everything I read on it here says that 10 minutes left in the boil is the optimum time to drop it in. I've noticed a lot more cold break in my beers and the wort seems to be a lot clearer going from boil pot to fermenter. I've also noticed that I get clear beer about two weeks sooner in my kegs than if I didn't use it.

I by no means think it's something you have to use, but it really does seem to help clear up my beers quicker.

I use it in my light color beers like Pale ales and swear by it. I do not bother with it in my dark beers since I am not as concerned about clarity and I let these beers age longer anyway.

Interesting. I've used it in the last few beers, one of which was a Dunkelweizen, and it really cleaned it up. I guess the real question was 1/2 tablet or whole. If you only need half then why are they so big?

Midwest says half a tablet at 5 minutes. Works great. You should see what it does to the OG sample. Separates the heck out of the thing.

I just use the whole tablet whether its a 5 or 10 gallon batch, most of mine are 10 but I do the small batches from time to time. They arent that expensive, like 20 cents, and I see no problems from using the whole tablet. Typically add it @15

I add one tablet (might be a different size than yours) at 5 minutes. If you put it in too early, the molecular shape will be altered and it wont be able to do it's thing. You are really just rehydrating the Carrageenan.

1 tablet @ 5 mins for 10 gallon batches (although, I heard they are good up to 15 gallons).

If I want REALLY clear beer, I'll use gelatin.

So one tablet in 5 gal is ok at 10 min? Or is it over kill? OR is it too much to be effective? I my just stick with 1/2 tab at the 10 min mark.

So one tablet in 5 gal is ok at 10 min? Or is it over kill? OR is it too much to be effective? I my just stick with 1/2 tab at the 10 min mark.

1 tablet for 5 gallon batch is fine. But you only need to use half for the same effect. I use a whole tablet (at 10 min to flame-out) in my 5.5 gallon batches every time. Works great.

Back