Whirlfloc with Defoamer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PlayMizuno

Reaction score
I searched to no avail. I am about to use defoamer for the first time and I am wondering if I can still use whirlfloc as usual? I am presuming (never assume) they are for two different purposes, but I would like some input from those with greater knowledge than myself. Thanks.

I only have about 30 min for this decision. I am planning on using the whirfloc unless I hear different. Any input would be appreciated.

I <3 foam control drops. :)

Since I have a 15 gallon kettle I use both when I do 10 gallon batches. It's no problem. I also use foam control in the fermenters. Nice to not have to cleanup a blowoff mess with English yeast strains.

Do foam control tablets effect head retention?
I only use them in starters but I have never noticed any effect on head retention. I think it's all supposed to just drop out of solution after fermentation, so you probably rack off of it so there isn't any left in the beer to effect the head retention.

Back