Whirlfloc - what a difference!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MasterWan

Reaction score
I got talked into using irish moss or Whirlfloc by the folks at my brew store, and wow what a difference. If you haven't used any clarity aids like these before, you should give them a try. My last two batches have turned out amazing!

I used to just cold crash in my secondary before kegging, but I would still retain cloudyness. The whirlfloc eliminated the need to cold crash (which takes up a ton of room for me) and gave me a crystalclear gem like apperance in the finished product.

Just thought I would share.

yea I know what ya mean. I never used to use any either but all of a sudden all my beers became cloudy. Dont know if the crush changed or what changed but something did.
Tried the moss and everything went back to normal again. Always use it now

I've never seen the need to use gelatin along with whirlfloc. I started transferring to a secondary for a week, after primary w/ the whirlfloc tabs, to drop out whatever suspended yeast was left over, and I have absurdly clear beers every time.

There is a pretty interesting article in the new BYOB mag in regards to adding irish moss and other clearing agents. You should check it out.

With gelatin and whirlfloc (or both) are you guys having carbonation problems? Or are you kegging so it's moot for you?

Latest posts

Back