Whirlfloc tablets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dmay

Reaction score
Anyone ever use the Whirlfloc tablets? The guy at the brew store said it would clarify my brew. I just threw one in the wort, Kinda excited to see how it works.

I've used them on 2-3 batches and they seem to work really well, better than Irish Moss. Those tablets are good for 10 (or 20?) gallon brews so I usually cut them in half with a hacksaw for my 5g batches.

Most of the time (like yesterday) I forget to add any kind of clarifying agent.

It does say Irish moss on the outside of the package

the_bird said:
That's interesting that you say they work better than Irish Moss. Aren't they just a different form of IM, or am I insane again?
They are concentrated Irish Moss (at least my understanding). I believe they're mostly carageenan without the other 'stuff' in Irish Moss.

I put them in every batch unless it's superdark like a black stout, or a hefewiezen which is supposed to be cloudy. I put it in at the beginning of the boil instead of 15 minutes to the end. I haven't seen any difference either way, but at the beginning of the boil it supposed clears 'better'. Oh and watch for boilovers when adding it in!

Dmay said:
Anyone ever use the Whirlfloc tablets? The guy at the brew store said it would clarify my brew. I just threw one in the wort, Kinda excited to see how it works.

Yup...every batch.
To help clarify your beer a good hot break and cold break also helps.

Odd how most books & homebrewers will say 10-15 minutes, but the instructions on my packet say at the beginning of the boil. Mostly I don't use it, but I'm on the dark side.

I throw one in about ten minutes from flameout. I do it then because I don't want it to try to clarify before the boil is done. IMO it does a really good job, and no, I don't bother cutting them in half either.

I also don't use them in dark brews either.

On another forum, a guy who claimed to have talked to the maker of the tablet said it works best if used in the last 5 minutes of the boil. Apparently the longer it boils past that, the less effective it is. It does something to degrade the carageenan in the tablet. I don't know if this is true or not.

Bah.. maybe half a tablet at the beginning and half at the end. :cross:

This is not the same as the shellfish stuff, is it? I know a few people with that allergy and I would try to be careful when brewing beer since I doubt most people with a shellfish allergy would ever even think to ask whether there is a shellfish additive in a homebrew.

Yuri_Rage said:
I think you're thinking of Isinglass, although its made from fish guts (sturgeon) rather than shellfish.

Yeah. I think that's what I'm thinking of. There's no fish guts in whirlfloc, is there?

Whirlfloc is just processed seaweed I think. I used the tablets for the first time with my last brew. They kind of sound like alka-seltzer when you throw them in.

Back