Whirlfloc - should I switch to something else?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwalker1140

Reaction score
Does it even make sense to use Whirlfloc if I'm just going to dump everything (except hops) from my kettle into my fermenter? I use it every time I want a beer to be clear, and I still get chill haze that usually takes a week or two to get rid of. I'm starting to wonder if I should switch to something like gelatin or Biofine Clear.

For what it's worth, I use 0.5 tablets per 5 gal batch added at 5 minutes.

I've never used Whirfloc but I always use Irish Moss, strain all transfers from brew kettle to fermenter, ferment @ 59*-61*, cold crash and never have a 'haze' issue.

Whirlfloc is great at coagulating proteins, and it helps a lot. I get very clear wort when I use whirlfloc, and if the wort is clear, the beer is usually very clear as well. Chill haze can be an issue, but if it goes away in a week or two, then that's a good thing and I wouldn't skip the whirlfloc unless you wanted one batch without it for comparison.

My experience, far from scientific, says it works. I dump everything in the fermentor as well. Before I started using Whirlfloc, my beer always took a lot longer to clear. From what I can tell, weather it settles out in the brew pot or it settles out in the fermenter, it still settles out a lot better with Whirlfloc. You'll just end up with a little more trub material.

I don't use it every batch, but when I'm concerned with clarity in the finished product, it does help.

Just out of curiosity, why use only 1/2 a tablet instead of a whole one?

Do you do a protein rest?
Do you get a good hot break?
Do you get a good cold break?

I also thought whirlfloc was a one tablet / 5 gallons thing. I've used it for the first time on my most recent two beers because I was out of Irish moss.

Just out of curiosity, why use only 1/2 a tablet instead of a whole one?

A whole whirlfloc tablet is enough for a 10 gallon batch.

After the first time I used it, I've used it in every batch. I also cover the kettle and give the wort a 20 minute rest after chilling to allow the gunk to settle. As much as possible stays behind in the kettle.

Chill haze is from proteins. Whirlflock (Irish moss) is helpful with that, even if you dump it all in.it helps pull that stuff out of suspension. Gelatin will pull out yeast better than proteins. If you want a post fermentation protein fining I would try bio fine or a polymer based product. Or better yet, cold crash it with the properly ionized fining. The trick with these proteins is to get them to coagulate and form the haze in conjunction with finings. Usually Irish moss and a properly sized chiller will do that well enough.

Are you sure it's chill haze and not yeast? Chill haze proteins don't like to settle out of suspension like yeast do.

I guess it could be yeast. At this point, I'm not sure. Here are some more details about my process:

I use a Blichmann floor burner so I'm able to get a good hot break. I use an immersion chiller and usually am able to drop the wort from boiling to 70F in ~20 minutes. The wort in my kettle at this point is very clear and the break material looks like egg drop soup. I typically ferment for 14-18 days before I cold crash to 40F for another 2-3 days, then I bottle. The beer to this point usually is never what I would call clear. After a week or so in bottles, the beer does get very clear but then when I stick a bottle in the fridge, it hazes up and stays that way for a week or two. And even then, it gets clear but usually never bright.

I dunno, maybe there's nothing out-of-whack here, but I always hear about people who's beer drops clear in the fermenter and who never have haze issues. Thanks for all the tips and advice! Much appreciated.

This thread came up in a search and I nearly read through the entire thing before I realized I was the OP.... (And nope, I haven't had anything to drink yet today.) Anyway, I figured I would post a follow-up since I've fixed my hazy beer problem.

I still use whirlfloc and cold crash in the primary but now I also add some gelatin to my keg before I rack my cold beer onto it. The first pint or so I pull about a week later is pretty murky but after that it's super clear.

In case anyone's interested, for a 5 gal batch, I add 1 tsp gelatin to 1/2 c. water (either bottled or distilled - whatever I have on hand other than tap, room temp) and let it sit for 15-30 minutes. Then I heat it to 160 in the microwave. Next I add it to the empty keg and rack the cold beer onto it. It's easy, cheap, and I get awesome results.

Back