Whirlfloc AND Irish Moss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pangea

Reaction score
Anyone ever used both before? I did for the first time last night - I've used only IM or only whirlfloc before and NEVER had such clear beer going into the carboy.

It was really clear in the kettle. But I have never seen so much cold break in the carboy using my setup. I use a plate chiller using normal hose water at around 60F. The freakin hydro sample I took had flocs in it! The only variable changed this time was to use both a tab of whirlfoc and a tsp irosh moss. Checked on the beer at lunch today and it's incredibly clear still even as fermentation has already started.

I thought that whirlfloc is a blend of irish moss and K-carrageenan (sp?). I could be wrong though.

Also, I was just searching for whirlfloc details and I see on morebeer that they recommend only 1/2 tablet for 5 gallon batches! I thought 1 tab was good for 5 gallons.

I've used a whirlfloc tab and a bit of moss in my 10 gallon batches before. Worked well. I don't think I'd use that same amount in a 5 gallon batch though.

Back