Whirfloc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arborman

Reaction score
I've always used whirfloc, but have a few questions...

I add the last 15 minutes of the boil, chill and then transfer to my conical. I do not get a good whirlpool with my recirculating chiller, so I get most of the gunk into my fermentor. Does the whirfloc still do it's thing in the fermentor? Or, is it more designed to drop things out before you transfer out of the boil kettle?

I've always used whirfloc, but have a few questions...

I add the last 15 minutes of the boil, chill and then transfer to my conical. I do not get a good whirlpool with my recirculating chiller, so I get most of the gunk into my fermentor. Does the whirfloc still do it's thing in the fermentor? Or, is it more designed to drop things out before you transfer out of the boil kettle?

It works well in the fermenter too.

and using whirlfloc on some beers and some not using it, I think it does help,but its not going to get your beer as clear as using a filtering system or something of the sort. I do not keg, and I bottle condition all my beer. Just dont have the funds to keg, nor the desire at this point. I have a chest freezer that I use to ferment in and also cold crash in. I have found that the cold crashing helps alot with getting hops to fall and also getting a more compact yeast cake. I just used 1/4 tsp of isinglass with one cup of boiled water on my last two batches that are in secondary awaiting the dry hop. I added the isinglass at the racking and not after the secondary was crashed (after reading I have heard adding the isinglass after it is chilled helps the solution drop more of the proteins that impart the chill haze to drop out. However, After doing all the above, I'm still not getting the clear beer any quicker than just putting the bottles in fridge after they have carbed to spec and the time spent in the fridge will get rid of the haze. Only problem is I have about 4 cases in storage of various styles of beer, and do not have a place to be able to refrigerate them in order to get rid of the haze. Obviously, its totally aesthetic and only is an issue when I want to present my beer to a person who has never drank a home brew and is looking for clarity that they are used to with the BMC's. I've got more issues Im trying to work on, but clarity is something that I think I will continue to try to perfect, but it seems nothing is better than a bottle in the fridge for 2-3 weeks after carbing. Not sure what would happen if you took that same bottle out after clearing and gave a six pack to a friend who had to re-refrigerate. Would the haze come back and require another 2 weeks? I don't know. I'm still very new to the hobby.

It does its thing in the kettle, but pouring everything into the fermenter doesnt reverse this process...it just mixes it all up again...but the protein has still been pulled out of solution by the whirlfloc and will fall to the bottom with the yeast.

I make this note because i dont think if you put whirlfloc in your primary it would do anything. It needs to be at boiling.

Back