Whirfloc for Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanppp

Reaction score
Whirfloc takes out proteins, right? Adding oatmeal to a stout is for protein, right? So, should I not use whirfloc for a beer where I add oatmeal?

You're adding oatmeal for complex carbohydrates which the yeast can not consume, thereby adding body and a higher FG to the beer. Whirlfloc away!

Whirfloc takes out proteins, right? Adding oatmeal to a stout is for protein, right? So, should I not use whirfloc for a beer where I add oatmeal?

I agree, and also want to add that whirfloc doesn't specifically target protein. It just targets "matter" in general and gets it to clump together and drop out of solution. This includes the hot and cold break (as you previously mentioned) but it also works nicely on the hop solids if you use pellet hops.

Use whirlfloc religiously, last beer was an oatmeal stout with ungodly mouthfeel and body. No problem, I use it regardless of style

Back