Which yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C-Rider

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm doing an ale version of a Schwarzbier. On hand I have the following yeasts, all dry:
Cooper's Ale
Danstar Munich German Wheat
Safale S04
Safale US05
Safbrew WB 06
Safbrew T-58

As this is a German Ale I was leaning toward the Danstar Munich even though it's a Wheat yeast.

It will be a one gallon BIAB batch.

it's german, but it's a hefeweizen yeast. Lots of those hefeweizen esters and phenols. The US05 at 65ish would get you closest to the clean fermentation of the typical german lager yeast.

it's german, but it's a hefeweizen yeast. Lots of those hefeweizen esters and phenols. The US05 at 65ish would get you closest to the clean fermentation of the typical german lager yeast.

tks, for the input. It's to hot here to try a lager here in the summer which is why I"m gonna use an ale yeast. Might try it during the winter w/a lager yeast.

Even still, if you can only get into the 70s, us05 is still your best bet for a schwartzbier among those yeasts. Otherwise you'll get something that tastes like a black hefeweizen.

Even still, if you can only get into the 70s, us05 is still your best bet for a schwartzbier among those yeasts. Otherwise you'll get something that tastes like a black hefeweizen.

I can keep it between 65-70. in my tub and ice.

Back