Which yeast would you use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beehemel

Reaction score
Next week I'm going to brew a triple rye stout (dubbed "Tryeforce" because I'm a nerd) and I've been going back and forth on which yeast to use for it. I had originally planned to use US05, but that just doesn't feel like the proper yeast for this one. Here's the recipe, tell me what you would ferment with:

18 lb UK Pale malt
3 lb Rye
1.5 lb Chocolate Rye
1 lb Flaked Rye
12 oz Roasted Barley
Rice Hulls

2.5 oz Northern Brewer @ 60 min.

Is S05 a good choice for this? What would you use?

Liquid, Wyeast 1010 or do you really want dry? S05 will work in that case.

Liquid, Wyeast 1010 or do you really want dry? S05 will work in that case.

Liquid's fine, I plan to make a starter either way. Never used 1010 before, but it looks promising. I figure this beer is going to finish a little sweet no matter what I do, so a yeast that produces a dry crisp beer would be great

I see. Well I don't think you make starters with dry yeast, do you?

I see. Well I don't think you make starters with dry yeast, do you?

I don't think there's any reason you can't. Since the OG of this wort is going to be high it will require more than one packet. For "normal" beers, you don't need to make a starter out of dry yeast, but I'm going to need the extra cell count for this guy.

If this is for a 5 or 6 gallon batch then US05/1056/WLP001 will leave you around 1.020's giving you a sweeter stout. If you would rather a dry stout try WLP007, or one of the Super Cali Ale's that attentuate better.

or rack on to a cake.

If this is for a 5 or 6 gallon batch then US05/1056/WLP001 will leave you around 1.020's giving you a sweeter stout. If you would rather a dry stout try WLP007, or one of the Super Cali Ale's that attentuate better.

or rack on to a cake.

Yeah, I'd like this one to get lower than 1.020 if possible. I've emailed my LHBS to see if he has the WLP090 San Diego Super in stock. If not, I've got a list of backups ready: WLP007, Wyeast 101, Wyeast 1450, Wyeast 1028.

So the LHBS doesn't have WLP090, but he can get it by next Wednesday or Thursday. If I plan to brew on Saturday would that give me enough time to make a nice starter? Looks like most large starters take two days at least.

I don't think there's any reason you can't. Since the OG of this wort is going to be high it will require more than one packet. For "normal" beers, you don't need to make a starter out of dry yeast, but I'm going to need the extra cell count for this guy.

General consensus is that for dry yeast, starters are a bad idea because they already come with a reserve of energy that would be sapped with a starter.

Rehydrate if you want, but not a typical "starter" like liquid.

I was going to recommend 1028 and I see it on your list there. It makes a great stout but you'll definitely want to mash low (148F max).

Wyeast 3522. I mean, what the hell, right? :p

Seriously, I'd do that. I <3 Ardennes, and it ferments dry.

I've used Ardennes in an oyster stout of all things and it tastes pretty good really, I've got a dubbel on my list to brew soon and it's definitely getting Ardennes as well

Back