Which yeast would you choose?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemman14

Reaction score
I have the following recipie
8 lbs of light dry extract
1 lb crystal 60L
.5 lb chocolate balt
.50 lb roasted barley
.25 lb black patent malt
2 oz chinook (60)
.5 oz cascade (30)
.5 oz cascade (10)
I put this into beer smith and it appears to be near the imperial Russian stout style. What would be a good yeast for this beer? I was thinking wyeast London ale

Since you are using grapefruity American hops, I'd go with an American ale yeast like WLP001 the equivalent Wyeast for a dry finish, or if you want it a little more malty, go with the White Labs WLP0057 American Ale V. Or you could go with an Irish Ale yeast. Lots of choices, but you really can't go wrong an American or British ale yeast.

Well, minus the roasted barley.. you aren't too far off from a Belgian Dark Stong.

You could theoretically use WLP-570.

I have the following recipie
8 lbs of light dry extract
1 lb crystal 60L
.5 lb chocolate balt
.50 lb roasted barley
.25 lb black patent malt
2 oz chinook (60)
.5 oz cascade (30)
.5 oz cascade (10)
I put this into beer smith and it appears to be near the imperial Russian stout style. What would be a good yeast for this beer? I was thinking wyeast London ale

Not calling you out, but only 8lbs gets you into Imperial stout range with regards to gravity? I don't have any calculators handy.

Back