Quantcast

Which Yeast to Wash?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

jalgayer

Reaction score
Hey All,

I have a few batches going right now and I wanted to try to harvest some yeast. I know that the batch I am going to brew next will have an impact on what yeast to use. I was looking to to an ESB or a Dunkel next.

So my question is this:

Which (if any) of the following yeasts would work for an ESB or a Dunkel? If it is "none" which of the following yeasts is the best to save due to its versatility ( I can potentially use it is many other types of beer

[a] Wyeast 1338 Trappist High Gravity
Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale Yeast
[c] British Ale 005 (dry)
[d] Wyeast 1056 American Ale

Thanks for the tips!

Jason

PS - I really do not want to save ALL of them. I am a newbie and this is my first crack at it. Also, limited fridge space.

Daddymem

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The 1056 will be your most versatile as it is a clean yeast. I could see that in an ESB. Not for a dunk though, you'll need a clovey or fruity yeast (depending on temps and your preference).

studmonk3y

Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn't bother washing the 1056 yeast as you can buy Safale US05 and get the same thing in dry form. Its really cheap too.

ISUBrew79

Reaction score
Do you want a Munich Dunkel or a Dunkelweizen? Munich Dunkel is a lager, and would require a German lager yeast, and as stated, a dunkelweizen would need a hefe yeast.

MattHollingsworth

Reaction score
I'd wash Wyeast 1056. It's a great yeast. And in my experience, it doesn't act or taste like Fermentis US-05. I don't think any of the yeasts really fit what you say you wanna do next though. For a nice ESB, I'd go with Wyeast 1968 or White Labs WLP023 Burton Ale yeast, personally.

OP
jalgayer

jalgayer

Reaction score
Looking at the Dunkelweizen. So I will need the heffe yeast.
Any suggestions for a beer that can be built off of the yeasts in the OP?
I am looking to try yeast washing and need to pick one of the above to use.
In the future, I understand that I need to plan ahead. Sorry.
Jason

Brocster

Reaction score
+1 on the 1056. One of the best "straightforward" yeasts, good for all types of ales.