which yeast for skeeter pee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
both will work fine, Ec-1118 is a more agressive yeast strain and will give a higher alc.% (18%) than the 71b but only if you add enough sugar to get it there.

I would recommend making a 1/2 gallon "starter" rather than just pitching the yeast. The entire premise of Skeeter Pee is using lees from the transition of primary to secondary since they are are quite active and depending on the wine you pull from, quite fruity (if you opt to incorporate some of the fruit from the transfer, as many choose to). Many who prefer to start their Skeeter Pee with fresh yeast make a starter using a fruit juice, hence creating a fruity Skeeter Pee. BUT, original Skeeter Pee is fabulous. I would opt for EC-1118 due to its aggressive, tolerant behavior, while it does have a higher potential alcohol level you don't want the SP to be rocket fuel, so I would recommend keeping your starting SG at the range in the recipe. You can always boost each serving with a neutral liquor of choice if need be.

I plan on starting a white grape peach wine with 71b and using the slurry from that on my next batch if SP. If there are any harsh acids like malic acid in the SP then 71b is good at metabalizing them so your wine is a little more refreshing and less harsh for a lower aging time.

Back