Which yeast for my Murphys Stout clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mymbtheduke

Reaction score
I will be brewing a clone of Murphy's on Saturday. The last time I did it, I used Wyeast Irish Ale. This time I don't want to spend the $6. I have S04 and Notty in the fridge. Which would you pick and why?

The catalog description for S04 is too vague.

Notty= Produces minor fruity and estery aromas and allows the full natural flavor of malt to develop.

S04 = English Ale yeast. Fast Fermenter and forms a compact sedimentation. Great for a large range of ale beers.

Thanks as always.

I'd stick with the wyeast Irish ale. Wash and save for the next time you make a stout to save cash.

I will be brewing a clone of Murphy's on Saturday. The last time I did it, I used Wyeast Irish Ale. This time I don't want to spend the $6.

Thanks as always.

In a five gallon batch the price difference per pint between that dry and liquid yeast is about .10. Would you spend .10 more per pint for better beer? Pry that dime out of your pocket and use the Irish Ale Yeast.

In a five gallon batch the price difference per pint between that dry and liquid yeast is about .10. Would you spend .10 more per pint for better beer? Pry that dime out of your pocket and use the Irish Ale Yeast.

It would be nice if you would expend your brain power answering the question instead of preaching.:rolleyes:

I'd stick with the wyeast Irish ale. Wash and save for the next time you make a stout to save cash.

I did that. I washed and put it into a Qt mason jar. I have a half inch layer of yeast near the bottom of the jar. Not sure if I can use it as it has been in my 40 deg frig for 4 months.

Thoughts?

It would be nice if you would expend your brain power answering the question instead of preaching.:rolleyes:

Maybe I'll just pass the plate through the congregation to raise a few bucks for your yeast fund. :mug:

I made a Murphy's Irish Stout over the weekend...I used 2 vials of (expired) WLP007 Dry English Ale yeast...it's fermenting away very nicely at 67F. :rockin:

I'll wash about 6 - 8 vials of yeast out of the primary when it's ready. :D

I did that. I washed and put it into a Qt mason jar. I have a half inch layer of yeast near the bottom of the jar. Not sure if I can use it as it has been in my 40 deg frig for 4 months.

Thoughts?

Should work, you just need to make a starter.

My experience is that the irish ale yeast doesn't make a very good stout. It just doesn't dry out enough. I use notty in my stouts, it lets the roasted flavours shine the way they should and dries out the beer nicely.

Edit: dry stout specifically, irish ale makes a fine oatmeal stout

Back