Which yeast for a hef

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atomicjoe23

Reaction score
My buddy and I are gonna be making our first hef and the recipe calls for either WLP300 or WLP380 yeast, we ordered the WLP380 because of the "refreshing citrus and apricot flavors" and the lower banana flavor compared to the WLP300 but I'm concerned about the phenolic flavor and flocculence (I want my hef to be cloudy) of the WLP380. . .I also noticed the WLP320 American style Hef yeast that we could use instead of the other two. . .I also don't understand sulfur production. If anyone could share their experiences with any of these yeast I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for the help

I just used a WLP380 in my DunkelWiezen. It is great stuff imo. Clove nose and fruitiness seems to be coming along...just bottled so early to tell a full report. Less flocculent means cloudier. As for the sulphur I didn't really notice much. I fermented around the low end of the recommeneded range. Very minimal banana right now or at least when I bottled.

I am sure some others will weigh in. :)

I love 3068 for hefs, but I love the banana and clove flavors. Too bad I'm not drinking on weekdays, otherwise I sure could go for a lunch beer!

I'm with Cheese on this one. I much prefer the Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan over the American Hefe strain. I like the banana/clove characteristics of the Bavarian Hefeweizens.

Which one (if any) is the Wyeast equivalent of the 380? If I were doing a non-dunkel I would have used the 300.

I'm still learning here so bear with me. . .I like Widmer Bros. Hefewiezen (I don't think that I've had any Bavarian Hef's or Dunkel's. . .so which yeast would you suggest with that in mind? I want to start trying a wider range of beers so that I can expose myself to more different flavors. . .hopefully that will help make me a better home brewer.

keep the temps lower with WLP380, my dunkelweizen was fermented warm and came out with a very strong bananna flavor, too much in fact.

I love the WLP380 for a hefe. It is my preferred yeast. I also ferment below the recommended temp. I usually ferment at 65 and it gives a nice clove flavor/aroma with a little banana.

i havent tried WLP380... I currently have a munich dunkel chugging along with WLP300. Previous batches using this yeast have turned out excellent!

Back