Which yeast calculator do you use and which stir plate option

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erick0619

Reaction score
I've been on brewerers friend and on yeast calc, and they both offer two different stir plate options, with one of the two optioned yielding a higher cell count. What option do you use? I just got my yeastir stir plate today, and I want to make sure I'm choosing the right option for when I actually get a starter going.

--------------------------------------

Where do you place your probe?

I use Brewers Friend and just leave it on the Braukaiser stir plate option. Im not sure why there are 2 stir plate options. Maybe two different sources that yielded different but conclusive results. If you wanted to be safe, you could use the option that is more conservative, that way you know you are propagating enough yeast. I for one have had great results from the default though (braukaiser)

Awesome thanks guys I guess I'll just go with the default option and stick to that from now on. Hopefully I'll have a starter going tonight or tomorrow afternoon. Cheers! :)

--------------------------------------

Where do you place your probe?

Back