which way to plant?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustbucket

Reaction score
ok is there a benefit to planting the rhizome straight up and down or horizontal or laying down? is there a difference on the way it will grow?

what do you prefer to do.. or what have you been doing?

Vertically, with the buds at the top and the roots at the bottom. Check through Hopfarmer's threads, he made a post earlier this year with planting instructions. You can also find instructional videos on YouTube.

that is the problem i have seen instructions for planting both ways.. im just trying to see which way is better... but ill prob plant vertical as according to hopfarmers

I haven't yet started my first attempt at a hop garden (waiting for the rhizomes to arrive and the ground to thaw). But, like you, I have been reading a lot. What I have taken away from it all is that horz or vert isn't as important as making sure the buds are pointing up.

In my case, I'm going to wait and see what my rhizomes look like. Then I'll lay them in the hole whichever way it looks like will point the most buds in the right (up) direction.

Back