Which way is up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chardo

Reaction score
Is planting my rhizomes vertically better than horizontal . If it is way better Which way s up? I haven't found any pictures of "buds" that need to go up.
Chardo

I thnk "horizontally" is the right way.

There is a "grow-hops" email list out there with specific info in it.

I planted my first ones a few weeks ago; 2 cascade & 2 Mt. Hood. I planted 1 of each verticle and 1 of each horizontal. The verticle cascade had the biggest buds and naturally broke ground first; the second cascade barely had any visible buds -- I planted it horizontally and it just popped out. Neither of the Mt. Hoods are showing signs of life yet. I'm not sure that verticle or horizontal makes much of a difference on them sprouting, logic dictates that verticle should give it a little deeper root to start with. I'm hoping that will help these first year hops in the muggy Memphis heat this summer.

I also just planted 2 Cascade & 2 Mt. Hood. I also planted one each vertical & horizontal haha.

So far the Mt. Hood I planted vertical is the only one up (NY), but she had a decent sprout already from sitting in the fridge a couple weeks.

I was hoping planting vertical is a good way to force the roots to grow down instead of out. I don't know much about growing though...

I planted mine horizontal 2 or inchesand I have two purple bean sprout looking things poking through. I would have three now but I was rummaging around the soil in my planter and broke it! Damnit! Hopefully it will grow back along with a couple more.

BTW. I have mine in a small container for now since it is still cold at night. Since I don't want to break anymore sprouts should I let it grow to a foot or two and then transfer to my bigger pot?

The BYO article that encouraged me to grow hops this year suggested not moving the plant, but to start in the largest pot that I will live in. I don't know if this is to avoid stressing the plant by moving it, but that would make some sense. Moving it know makes some sense to me. It would sure suck to break off two feet of growth if you were to move it later, right?

Back