Which Type Of Mash Paddle For Stainless Kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcav

Still Believing In God, Family &This Great Country
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I just broke down and had some custom converted keg kettles made for me, with larger one inch tri-clamp fittings and returns on all the kettles welded on them, from Sabco. I did spend some coin, but it's a one time purchase that should last forever.

My questions is do I need to use a wooden mash paddle or can I use a stainless steel paddle. I DO NOT want to scratch and ding up the inside of my expensive mash tun kettle. I saw on Northern Brewer's website that the description of the wooden model stated that "It won't ding up the inside of your stainless vessels".

Does anyone know if the stainless paddle will really mar, scratch or ding up the stainless steel? I like the stainless paddle only because everything in my brewery is stainless steel, but I would buy the wooden mash paddle if it will ruin my kettles.

Any real experience opinions are appreciated

Thanks!

John

The wood certainly won't scratch steel, and the steel definitely might. I personally won't worry about that, but if you want to keep the interior of your tun looking shiny wood is the way to go.

...the description of the wooden model stated that "It won't ding up the inside of your stainless vessels"....
That sounds a bit like marketing talk than anything else, just saying. Although I have been a bit of a cynic on the marketing speak of the internet suppliers lately:D

I don't see the obsession with giant boat oar like mash paddles. This cheap plastic one works just fine up to 12 gallon batches, and will not scratch.

DSCN3200.jpg

Thanks to all of you for getting back to me so quickly, you all rock :rockin: Wow that crawfish paddle is a great find, thanks JonW for linking. That plastic one looks like it would do the job also.

Has anyone out there really scratched the heck out of their stainles kettles, or pots with the stainless paddle? Or is this really marketing hype like matt2 suggested. I know what you mean about internet marketing propaganda!

Thanks again!

John

jcav said:
Thanks to all of you for getting back to me so quickly, you all rock :rockin: Wow that crawfish paddle is a great find, thanks JonW for linking. That plastic one looks like it would do the job also.

Has anyone out there really scratched the heck out of their stainles kettles, or pots with the stainless paddle? Or is this really marketing hype like matt2 suggested. I know what you mean about internet marketing propaganda!

Thanks again!

John

The inside of my mash tun is lightly scuffed. No deep gouges or anything, but it doesn't look pristine. I suspect it's tough to keep them looking like new.

I don't see the obsession with giant boat oar like mash paddles. This cheap plastic one works just fine up to 12 gallon batches, and will not scratch.
Whats the diameter of the handle on that one, my plastic one is a bit thin and feels like it is going to break when I stir! But it also wouldn't do for 10 gallon batches :cross:

The inside of my mash tun is lightly scuffed. No deep gouges or anything, but it doesn't look pristine. I suspect it's tough to keep them looking like new.

I think your right, I guess it's just like using stainless cookware, they will eventually gets marks and scratches on them from use. I appreciate it MalFet.

John

For what it is worth, I use a stainless wire whip that I purchased from Rebel Brewer (listed under the stirring and straining category). It is 24 inches long and works great for mash in. I also have the plastic mash paddle, but I have not used it since I purchased the whip. I have not found anything better for breaking up the dough balls.

For what it is worth, I use a stainless wire whip that I purchased from Rebel Brewer (listed under the stirring and straining category). It is 24 inches long and works great for mash in. I also have the plastic mash paddle, but I have not used it since I purchased the whip. I have not found anything better for breaking up the dough balls.

Interesting LuiInIdHO, you got my attention. I would like a longer handle in the 30 to 36 inch range, but this looks like a easy quick alternative for getting it doughed in. You think it's strong enough to break up a large grain bill in let's say a 10 gallon batch size oatmeal stout recipe, and it's not a toy?

I can certainly understand about having a longer handle. That is why I purchased this 24 inch monster. As far as handling the grain bill -- I think that it would work well. I have only done five gallon batches. But even then, I am still able to dough in eleven or twelve pounds of grain real easily. Stir it up a bit, and give the whip a twist and the dough balls fall apart. As far as being a toy, it has the Polar Ware name on it. It is 24 inches long, but the handle is about 5 inches of that. So the wire whips are about 19 inches long. That may be some information that you might find helpful. :mug:

Bought the saame one and love it. Ditched the paddle and the whip works better than anything I've used

I use a French whip (same as the whip mentioned above, but from foodservicewarehouse.com for less if I recall) and can't figure out why anyone would use a paddle. This thing is so quick and easy, no sharp edges to ding anything, I love it. Highly recommend it, if you want longer check out foodservicewarehouse I think they make longer than 24 inch but I find it works great for me :)

I can certainly understand about having a longer handle. That is why I purchased this 24 inch monster. As far as handling the grain bill -- I think that it would work well. I have only done five gallon batches. But even then, I am still able to dough in eleven or twelve pounds of grain real easily. Stir it up a bit, and give the whip a twist and the dough balls fall apart. As far as being a toy, it has the Polar Ware name on it. It is 24 inches long, but the handle is about 5 inches of that. So the wire whips are about 19 inches long. That may be some information that you might find helpful. :mug:

Yes sir, excellent info. I think I'm sold. Appreciate it man!

John

Bought the saame one and love it. Ditched the paddle and the whip works better than anything I've used

Thanks Dog House for chiming in! I love it when people post from their real experiences using items in question, instead of not using the item before and just posting their opinions.

Thanks again!

John

I use a French whip (same as the whip mentioned above, but from foodservicewarehouse.com for less if I recall) and can't figure out why anyone would use a paddle. This thing is so quick and easy, no sharp edges to ding anything, I love it. Highly recommend it, if you want longer check out foodservicewarehouse I think they make longer than 24 inch but I find it works great for me :)

Sweet thanks! :mug:

Interesting LuiInIdHO, you got my attention. I would like a longer handle in the 30 to 36 inch range, but this looks like a easy quick alternative for getting it doughed in. You think it's strong enough to break up a large grain bill in let's say a 10 gallon batch size oatmeal stout recipe, and it's not a toy?

Brilliant! I know I'm late in the game here but I did quick search and found bigger models for as little as $18.00. I believe these are made for things like large batches of mash potatoes at hotels and such so they should have no problem with grain bills. This is going to be my next purchase for sure.

Johnson Rose French Hotel Whip 36 Inch Length

Sweet RandalG, good find. I ended up buying a 36 inch handled stainless steel whisk from a commercial kitchen site. It was a little pricey, but it's a beauty!

John

Back