Which Temp Controller? Heating + Cooling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wooden

Reaction score
Looking to make a fermentation chamber/kegerator/keezer just for fermenting. Want this to be able to do both heating and cooling and switch automatically between the modes as needed to maintain a target temp.

I live in in an old/uninsulated house in Northern Minnesota where ambient temps fluctuate constantly, and widely, even within a season. Plus, I want to be able to do everything from lagers to Red Wines in this unit. As such, I need the thing to be able to switch between heating or cooling as-needed. (Rather than just heat/no heat, cool/no cool).

I am OK with, say adjusting the temp manually so I don't know if a programmable thermostat would be necessary. If doing a lagering schedule I am OK with adjusting temp myself.

Which controller should I use? I recently made a keezer with a buddy, but he only needs cooling. We used a Johnson A419. Would this work, and say be able to integrate a heating element and cooling to maintain a temp of 64F regardless of the ambient temps?

The important considerations for me is that it compatible and relatively easy to set up/temp. I am not a computer geek or electronics geek or electrical engineer. Plug n Play more or less.

Also, in choosing the controller, are there limitations as to what kind of heater/heating element can be connected to it? Do I need to choose heating element first?

Thanks,

Wooden

I now use a inkbird itc-308 (previously used a Ranco). The new unit allows me to control both heating and cooling. So far I've been happy.

The inkbird is connected to a standup freezer which holds my 20 gallon conical perfectly.

I created a fermentation chamber in the fall using an old mini fridge with this pre-built/programmed STC-1000 and some reptile heating tape.

http://www.boostbysmith.com/brewindex.html
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DOZGLYM/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It was the best investment I think I have made to date in brewing. The controller has many programmable profiles with ramping included etc. It is easy as programming the unit and walking away until you can't stand to not have a look at your beer bubbling away!:mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a ITC-308 for dual stage. But I also have a couple Johnson A419 controllers.

The last batch I brewed a split 10 gallon batch with US-05 yeast (controlled by the ITC-308) and WLP550 (Belgian Pale Ale) also in the fridge with a brew belt and a Johnson A419 for heat only to keep it warmer than the US-05.

Back