which starter Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greg2536

Reaction score
I have been reading up on various types of starter brewing kits . which kit would you recommend for a new brewer?
Greg

I liked the kits from Northern Brewer and Austin Homebrew. They come with specialty grains for steeping, extract, and hops. You can also add yeast to the order; I'd suggest using dry yeast for your first few brews.

Which company would you say has the best brewing equipment to start with. ie fermenter etc

I wondered if you were talking about a starter equipment kit or a starter ingredient kit. Obviously, it was equipment.

I got my kit years ago from Austin Homebrew. Midwest and Northernbrewer offer comparable kits.

You can start with a basic kit for well under $100. Things to consider adding, either right away or down the road, include a secondary fermenter (usually a glass carboy), wort chiller, aerator, etc.

But to start with, any of the starter kits offered by the above companies are great.

Thanks, that was my real question. There are so many kits offered with small differences that it is both confusing and reassuring. I'll be ordering a kit very soon.
Greg

Ah sorry, thought you meant ingredients. Again, either AHS or Northern Brewer offer great equipment kits that are easily scalable to what you want. I recommend starting with the most basic then adding things as you hone in on how you want to brew.

Greg,

I don't know where you're located, but look for a Local Home Brew Supply shop. If there's one close by you can save on the shipping, plus you'll have someone there to help get you set up. All you really need to brew is a bucket, bottling bucket, racking cane, hose, bottlewand, airlock and capper. After that everything else is extraneous. Now that doesn't mean you won't spend 3 times what you spend on your starter kit within the first month of brewing (talking from experience here. Trust me, it just seems like a waste of time only have ONE beer at a time fermenting. I mean, jeez).

You should be able to find everything above in a nice convenient kit for under 100 bucks, and, realistically be able to add a carboy for secondary for an extra 20 bucks.

Cheers,

just make sure whatever you get that you get the essentials:

- stock pot (4 gallon or if you want bigger: 8 gallon is what i started with...it's perfect.)
- stirring rod (longer the better)
- funnel (something with the ribs down the sides are better, to allow air to pass and you don't end up spilling all over)
- fermenter (bucket or 6.5 gallon carboy...secondary is optional...i'd go with glass carboy or better bottle)
- hydrometer, sampling tube, and sample taker (wine-thief or turkey baster)
- airlock and blow-off hose setup
- sanitizing solution
- siphon starter and hose
- bottles, caps and bottling bucket (or kegging system)
- carboy and bottle brushes

i think that's it...did i miss anything?? :drunk:

I purchased an intermediate kit from Midwest, and with shipping they were only $4 more than my LHBS, and they had more equipment (two carboys, funnel, etc.) It all arrived nicely packaged with no breakage. Just my .02.

While we're on the subject, what ingredient kit do you all recomend?

easiest beer to brew would be a hefeweizen

6 lbs of wheat dme
1 oz hallertau or tettnanger or saaz
liquid wheat yeast

don't use canned kits...go for something your LHBS has set up. if you don't want to go with the weizen, get a kit with specialty grains

Back