Which specialty grains or adjuncts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to guess you'll get the obvious answers of all the very dark malts, smoked malt, roasted barley, etc.

It depends on the recipe. For a light american lager, 1# of flaked maize will be noticeable, but not the least bit noticeable in a robust porter. A pound of victory malt will be noticed in an English bitter, but not in a stout.

There is no "right" answer for your question because of the many different beer styles. Some robust styles will cover subtleties, while light styles will show every grain in them.

What about biscuit? What does biscuit bring to the table? I see that one pop up almost as often as maize

What about biscuit? What does biscuit bring to the table? I see that one pop up almost as often as maize

"will provide a warm bread (or biscuit) flavor and aroma, and will add a garnet-brown color. Since this malt has no enzymes, it must be mashed with malts having surplus diastatic power. The maximum amount used in a grain bill should be 5-15% of the total."

From AHS

"will provide a warm bread (or biscuit) flavor and aroma, and will add a garnet-brown color. Since this malt has no enzymes, it must be mashed with malts having surplus diastatic power. The maximum amount used in a grain bill should be 5-15% of the total."

From AHS

Biscuit common in wheat beers? I'm thinking that I want to do a wheat beer soon. Much like Boris Organic, or Mill St Organic. It's wet, with hints of mild citrus and smoke

Back