Which refractometer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdilley

Reaction score
I have a choice between 0-32 brix, a 0-40 brix + 0-25 alcohol, and a honey one that Is very high brix + water content.

is it worth the 0-40 + alcohol or is the 32 just fine?

How high will the % in brix be on average for worts and musts? I'm used to SG so I'm not up on my brix yet.

Second is it even worth getting the honey one fir doing mead work or leave it for bee keepers?

Lastly the older style has a calibration screw and the new style uses a twist knob. Is there really a difference? How often do you calibrate these things?

The 0-32 Brix scale will do just fine. That's the one I bought first. I believe it is wise to get one with a calibration adjustment (mine uses a small screwdriver). Once set, it rarely needs to be adjusted.

Thanks hightest, the FAQ is great for process/use but left a few purchase/selection questions.

Finally the knob is really a small metal knurl exactly where the manufacturer previously put the adjustment screw. I'm trying to figure out if the are just tired of the cost of throwing in a screedriver or if the knurl really is a better calibration interface.

If the honey one is our I can put in the order for just the 0-32 brix. I tried the link in the FAQ but that seller hasn't responded to email inquiries :(

Primary 5l - JAO 1 clove
Primary 5l - JAO 2 clove
Secondary 25l - Dark Ale

waiting for refractometer before venturing into dap, fermaid-k, 1/3 sugar breaks and turbo fermentations

... I tried the link in the FAQ but that seller hasn't responded to email inquiries.
The FAQ link is still valid - NIS is a high volume eBay seller.

Presently he has the RHB-32ATC Portable Brix Refractometer for sale beginning at $29.99 (a little more than 2 days left) - the exact model that I own.

Didn't get email update about your post, need to check my settings.

I ended up buying from a high volume reseller in Hong Kong, closer to the factory:

eBay Australia Shop - easylifeproduct

Works out better since I'm in Oz and ships internationally. China -> HK -> Oz instead of China -> HK -> USA -> Oz which shows for better price.

I got the RHB-32ATC Portable Brix Refractometer with the older style Screwdriver for calibration method for 26 AUD which works out to about $17 US Dollars. Got an email back from this reseller within 24 hours so I went with him.

Not sure if you calibrate the unit on every use or just once every few months or so. If on every use I think I would have rather spent the extra $2 for the knurl adjustment knob where the screw is. You said rarely ever adjusted again so I have something to put my mind to rest on.

But that said, can't complain for the price. Cheers for the help. Can't wait until it arrives so I can start learning the refractometer method.

OT: I went a bit wild and order some more items direct or close to factory from China. $40 ($27 US Dollars) got me pocket digital scale 2lb/1kg in .1 gram resolution which I plan to use for hops, DAP, Fermaid K, Goferm, etc. Then picked up a glass desktop kitchen digital scale 3kg also in .1 gram resolution for measuring out the honey ($10, and $17 respectively). Just a kitchen scale here costs $90 for the same made in China scale in the department stores. A 12V power supply for my 12V DC Fan Stir Plate project. Then I went crazy and got iPhone car windshield mount, cigarette power adapter, and headphones since I use my phone as full GPS turn-by-turn voice maps and red light camera early warning system :) Each of these items cost 4-7 times the price I paid over in HK in the local stores here for same items and the shipping is free from Hong Kong to anywhere in the world.

Didn't get email update about your post, need to check my settings.
You are not alone... This is the only forum I visit that has this problem, and it seems the "owners" are not interested in finding out why Link (sore point - now back to the topic)
..Not sure if you calibrate the unit on every use or just once every few months or so.
Check the calibration (use distilled water) when it arrives, and then perhaps every 6 months or more, depending on who often you use it.

Back