Which recipe to use maple syrup in....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azingsheim

Reaction score
I've come across 16 oz of pure fresh WI maple syrup from La Crosse. I've got 2 ideas of recipes to include. The regular Nut Brown ale recipe from NB, or the Honey Brown recipe from Northern Brewer (with or without the honey). First which kit do you think would be better, and second when shoud I add the syrup during the boil? Thanks

Aaron

Grade A or Grade B? If you add it during the boil, I'd say right at the end.

You could try adding it to a secondary or at bottling/kegging.

I tried maple syrup before, it really only leaves a little hint of flavor, it mostly ferments out. If you want a good amount of maple flavor get some maple extract from the spices section at the grocery store and add that with your maple syrup in the secondary. I'd use one or two ounces of the extract. At least that's what I plan for my next attempt at a maple beer.

Someone here made a Maple Wheat beer.
That sounded VERY intriguing.

Real maple syrup doesn't give a great maple character. It's sad to say, but the fake stuff you can buy at Walmart is better for that. I had bought a half gallon of some syrup and e-mailed a local brewery about a maple Belgian they do. It turns out they use more fake syrup than the real stuff and for 5 gallons it comes down to ~5 oz of syrup (2/3 of it fake, 1/3 real).

Anyways, I would add it to the secondary. Heat it up to >180* to kill any bugs, cool it down and dump it in.

I made an Oatmeal stout that came out very well. I used the maple syrup for priming. It didn't add any discernible flavor, but did leave a little maple aroma.

Another option would be to add maple extract from the spice section unless you're really set on it being the real stuff.

Back