Which mini-fridge for fermenting chamber?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Bishop

Reaction score
I'm in the process of trying to track down a mini-fridge to use as a fermenting chamber. Anyone know of what ones will fit the plastic 6 gallon PET carboys? Not having much luck finding one locally, and I don't want to order anything unless I *know* it'll work.

Spent a few hours reading the forums about it, but new/current info about which ones work is hard to come by.

a 4.3 cu ft mini fridge is probably the smallest you would want to go. Your run of the mill 4.3 cu ft mini fridge has the hump for the compressor and a freezer section that provides cooling to the entire fridge. Any 4.3 cu ft fridge without either or both of these things is desirable. The freezer section can be bent down to make room for the carboy however you must be extremely careful doing this because bending the coolant lines too much will kill your refrigerator.

The igloo 4.6cu unit will work, but the exact layout you get may not be the same as others. As far as mods go, I've been able to avoid bending the freezer section out of the way so far. But whatever you get you'll probably have to cut the door shelving out.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

A 7 cubic foot chest freezer would let you do up to three fermenters and wouldnt cost too much more than a mini fridge.

I managed to track down an 18 cubic foot upright freezer for sale locally. Now I need to shoehorn it into my increasingly crowded utility room...

This is a score.

freezer.jpg

That's a 6 gallon PET carboy. At least 4, and possibly 5 will fit in here.

Now to get my STC-1000 wired in...

Well, I kinda made the room by re-organizing my utility/laundry room. Threw out a lot of unnecessary stuff that I hope SWMBO doesn't notice is now gone.

Back