Which malt is best for home smoking?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merkinman

Reaction score
I have been leaning toward Munich, but wonder how much difference it makes once the smoke hits it. Whenever I read someone's instructions, I find they never mention which base malt they stared with.

I figured Munich malt is close to what they get in bamberg, and I will use it mostly to brew traditional rauchbier / marzen.
:tank:

2 row is all i have used. i woukd think you would be losing any noticable difference you paid for with anything else. But I have not tried.

Hey Merkin,

I recently made a rauchbier this past fall. I mixed my 50%Vienna 50%Munich grain bill and took 20% out. I smoked it in pie pans with Hickory chips (Not very traditional I know) over one of those cheap mini UFO shaped grills while camping.

The reason I smoked 20% was because I wanted to drink it after fermentation and 1 month of lagering. I also wanted to share it with people who have never tasted a smoke beer so I wanted it on the mild side. I was very happy with the smoke but it didn't taste as full as a schlenkerla. You would need to smoke 100% for that.

A couple commented on a slight bandaid like phenol. I think it was either the hickory or because they were looking for it. I have tasted some bad bandaid beers before and I couldn't detect it in this one. in any case when making a smoke beer it is important to treat your water with a campden tablet to get the chlorines out. They can make that chlorophenol bandaid flavor and can ruin the tasty smoke.

If you plan to smoke 100% be prepared to wait a LONG time before it's calm enough to drink. I know a guy in Indy who won 1st place at the state fair for his, well deserved, but he had to wait a year before it calmed down. Also be prepared for the munich sweetness to stick around. Update with what you did and how it worked when you're done.

Also, if it wasn't obvious from the post a traditional smoke beer would be 100% smoked malt. They dried the malted barley over a fire after malting. As far as types to choose from- Pilsner, Munich, and Vienna. I'll be throwing a lot of pilsner into my next one.

in any case when making a smoke beer it is important to treat your water with a campden tablet to get the chlorines out. They can make that chlorophenol bandaid flavor and can ruin the tasty smoke.

Good words on this and the aging. I am not sure I would have treated mine any different. Thanks for the input

Back