Which light beer to make?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cider123

Reaction score
I have this problem of looking at my next "on deck" recipe before I even make the one "at bat". I'm making my Bitter next weekend, but now that I'm set on the recipe, I'm already looking at what comes next.

I'm ready to make something light and refreshing, but I don't want the body of a lager. Being a newb, I don't know how to describe it best. I want something that has the frothiness and body of a wit, but not as heavy or spicy. Also a bit malt forward rather than dry. I don't want something that looks crystal clear like a much better tasting BMC.

I have been through this forum, my books and Beersmith a hundred times.

I am dizzy, going over and over the differences/similarities of a Kolsch, a blonde ale, an altbeer, Yooper's fizzy yellow beer, and a munich helles. With the exception of the Blonde, I can't find any of these in the stores.

I'll probably just pick one and start working my way through them. Any thoughts where I should start? Thanks

I brewed this for a wedding back in October and everyone who tried it loved it. BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde is also very popular, so I would second that even though I've never brewed it myself.

You might try Northern Brewers Honey Weizen. At least give it a read and see what you think. Everyone I have served it to loved it.

The centennial blonde is a good one. Or go to Austinhomebrew and look at their golden ales section. I just ordered a kolsch and honey blonde from there to make for a wedding.

A tripel is a good beer to make as well. It's a bit spicy, light colored, and has some characteristics of a wit. It won't be an extremely malty beer, but depending on the recipe you use, there can be a lot more grain flavor and mouthfeel. Karmeliet clones are a good example, because they use oats and wheat as well as barley and pils.

Ok, I think I'll go with the Centennial Blonde first. I'll follow it as listed, except I don't like Cascade so I will need to change the hops. I can maintain the same IBU's using Beersmith. I see folks talking about Williamette, Saaz and Tett being good hops for blondes. I prefer earthy to citrusy.

Back