Which kviek?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadProphet

Reaction score
Greetings
I'm going to brew a Deschutes Fresh Squeezed extract clone using a kviek. Wondering if Voss or ultra would be better suited.
Using kviek because I brew and ferment in my non-temperature controlled garage in the NorCal heat.
Suggestions?

I just tapped an IPA (spruce tip) with Lutra and it is good but the flavors seem muted. Have a starter of Voss and the same ingredients and am gonna see which one expresses the best flavor.

I love Voss for a lot of different stuff. The Lutra to my palate seems to have a faint funky basement funk that comes out if the beer isn't bold enough or hoppy enough to hid it. The last Farmhouse ale I used it on had it and more faint the Golden ale I have on tap now kind of has it though it has almost faded away. This go around of Lutra was fermented on the low end of its range ( fermented at 68-70 ) and it took longer to finish than the beer next to it that had US-05. I had to keep the temperature down for the fermenter that had the US-05.

Back