Which is the best base malt to keep on hand?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCCOLA

Reaction score
Just ran out of my first 50lb. bag of base grain(Breiss pale ale) and am looking at buying another 50lb. as my base.In your opinions,what is the best all-around base malt to keep on hand?I brew anything from wheats to porter with bitters and ipas being my favorite.

At home I have great luck with Breiss or Rahr 2 row and if I am feeling spendy which i usually am on my english beers, some Marris Otter from crisp is usually in order. At the brewery we use either breiss or cargill malts as they are way more cost effective at the amounts we use.

Yup, it all depends on what you brew the most.

American IPA/APA/Amber - 2 row
Belgians - Pils
English - Marris Otter
German - Munich/Pils

I am going to stray a bit and say that the best base malt to have on hand is the one most readily available and affordable, to you.

They will al make beer. The challenge is to make the best beer you can with what you have.

My mainstay is Briess Pale malt. I get it fresh from my local micro, since they use it for best economy. Little difference between 2-row and Pale malts. I do like MO, but not as a main base grain.

Back