Which is more important?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DNKDUKE

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I need some advice. I am a newb AG brewer who would like to move away at some point, from the mish mash of equipment to a logical setup some day. So the question is, should I buy a pump that I may not use right away or a grain mill that I'll use immediately even though any grain I buy can be bought crushed.
Thanks.

I've been brewing for over 20 years and still don't use a pump. I use my Mill every brew day. But that is just me. I am quite satisfied with gravity feed for my needs, but like to be able to store grain, and the fact that grain is cheaper when bought whole.

I've been brewing for over 20 years and still don't use a pump. I use my Mill every brew day. But that is just me. I am quite satisfied with gravity feed for my needs, but like to be able to store grain, and the fact that grain is cheaper when bought whole.

Good points. Thanks CB.

Good points. Thanks CB.

Grain mill, definitely.

And 'Tis The Season - to treat yourself to a good one - so you only spend the money once.
You have our permission...

Cheers! ;)

I have a Barley Crusher which has worked great for me, but from everything I have read here, I would buy a Monster Mill if I had to do it again.

Mill also, I too have a gravity system. I wanted it simple and less expensive.

I use a corona style mill with good results. $25 - $50. When I move up ? sideways to a roller mill I will be going with a Monster Mill mm2 2.0. It is a little more than others but seems to be one of the highest regarded. They also have 3 roller models.

My answer will differ from most since I live 15-20 min away from a MoreBeer store where they have a great large mill. The main question is: how close to you live to your LHBS? If farther than 45-60 min - I would say mill - if closer I would say pump.

I started at extract and moved to AG within the first year - what really made my beer start to shine is my HERMS situation - I took my 8gal extract boiler and made it by using 1/2" copper and soldered it myself - to run it though I need that pump. Without it I am up the creek without a canoe.

So I say if you are growing your system and want to really make good beer - pump - for this conversation. Of course if you don't have the RIMS or HERMS situation it is not really that necessary since gravity feeds are so easy to setup.

Brew on:mug:

For me a pump is a better choice. I want to do 10G batches and already have a hard time with lifting the mash water for 5G batches.

For me a pump is a better choice. I want to do 10G batches and already have a hard time with lifting the mash water for 5G batches.

Is it a height or weight thing? One can bail with a long handled kitchen pot quite quickly. After the first run, you can adjust your strike water temperature to compensate for temperature lost during the transfer due to time.

I do 10 gallon batches with a cooler mash tun setup. I have a smaller 7 gallon pot from when I used to do 5 gallon batches. I simply drain my mash tun into there, then do a batch sparge from the HLT. When the HLT is drained it becomes my boil kettle and I empty the 7 Gallon pot of wort into it. I like the simplicity.

I have a 3-tier gravity system, so I do want a pump someday to recirculate, but the mill ultimately controls my process better, saves $$$ on bulk base grain buys, and allows me to adjust grind for when I do BIAB vs. my full 3-vessel.

I have a MM, love it.

3-tier w20G BK small.jpg

definitely the mill. I have a 3 tier system that I have used for 15+ years..... never had a pump. The mill on the other hand has probably more than saved me the cost of my entire 3 tier system over the years by buying bulk grain.

I had a Barley Crusher that I used for over a decade.... worked well over its life. Started having problems with it a year or so ago and bought a Monster Mill. 1.5 inch, 2 rollers. It is a GREAT mill. I love it. The only problem with it so far is that at first my efficiency was so high (90%+) that it was screwing up all my recipes. The Barley Crusher served me very well, for a long time. But, the Monster Mill is better.

For me, between the money you save when buying bulk grain, cost of gas going back to the HBS each brew and your time, a mill would pay for a new pump over the course of a year.

Thanks Everyone. I have delusions of grandeur and want to go big; but I have good pots and tuns and so I think I'm just going to organize them for gravity for now.
I like the simple solution...a mill it is.

I would buy a cereal killer for $100 and then take the savings and buy a $20 12v or 24v dc food grade pump such as this...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-Solar-H...420&rk=1&rkt=6&mehot=pp&sd=330917635749&rt=nc

I currently have 2 12v versions I've been using a year now and just added 2 stronger 24v versions... they pump 2-3 gallons a minute which is really more than enough for most home brewing setups...

I motorized my cereal killer mill and its worked flawlessly for me btw.... they have actual bearings which is superior to the bronze bushings that the barley crusher uses as far as longevity.

Mill, most LHBS crush it and create too much flour. My mill is adjustable and I tweak the setting for each different grain. My base malts I run through the mill twice, it is more work but I get the grains the way I want them. Besides the second pass is a lot easier on the arms....

I would buy a cereal killer for $100 and then take the savings and buy a $20 12v or 24v dc food grade pump such as this...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-Solar-H...420&rk=1&rkt=6&mehot=pp&sd=330917635749&rt=nc

I currently have 2 12v versions I've been using a year now and just added 2 stronger 24v versions... they pump 2-3 gallons a minute which is really more than enough for most home brewing setups...

I motorized my cereal killer mill and its worked flawlessly for me btw.... they have actual bearings which is superior to the bronze bushings that the barley crusher uses as far as longevity.

I agree with augiedoggy, I have both the Cereal Killer and the 12/24 V ebay pumps. My Cereal Killer is motorized with a cordless drill (works great). The Cereal Killer has paid for its self by being able to buy grain by the bag and crushing as needed.

What do you use the pumps for?
I would start by using a 12v or 24v pump for recirc. chilling.
YO!!!:mug:

What do you use the pumps for?
I would start by using a 12v or 24v pump for recirc. chilling.
YO!!!:mug:

I use them for everything... I have one dedicated for each purpose so I dont have to move any hoses or pumps around during brewing...
I use one to recirculate my mash through the rims tube... one for sparge water and to pump water to my mash tun prior to mashing and one on my BK for wirlpooling and to push wort through my plate chiller in the winter months when my ground water is cold. I also have a spare. these are really powerful for their size.

I use them for everything... I have one dedicated for each purpose so I dont have to move any hoses or pumps around during brewing...
I use one to recirculate my mash through the rims tube... one for sparge water and to pump water to my mash tun prior to mashing and one on my BK for wirlpooling and to push wort through my plate chiller in the winter months when my ground water is cold. I also have a spare. these are really powerful for their size.

And they obviously can take the heat.
This would be a cost effective (cheap) way to get into an upgrade that could be used on a permanent basis OR at some point upgraded to a march or chugger.:D

Thanks augie.

Another vote for the mill. It's saved me a lot of $ on grain and helped with predictable efficiency.

Though I don't necessarily advise against it, I'll mention that my $20 12V pump did not last long, maybe a dozen brews. I bit the bullet & got a Chugger when it died.

Another vote for the mill. It's saved me a lot of $ on grain and helped with predictable efficiency.

Though I don't necessarily advise against it, I'll mention that my $20 12V pump did not last long, maybe a dozen brews. I bit the bullet & got a Chugger when it died.

I would argue that you might have done something wrong or you got a defective pump because I have over 30 brew sessions on mine with no issues...
I dont use ball valves to restrict them (I use $3 pwm speed controllers) and I never try to power them on less (or more) voltage or than they are speced for... they also require at least 1amp to function properly.
I also dont try to push solids through mine as many do apparently from reading and that will bind them up.

Just my 2 cents but since I have purchased and used 5 different varieties of dc pumps with no issues I'd say its got to be worth something.

I would argue that you might have done something wrong or you got a defective pump because I have over 30 brew sessions on mine with no issues...
I dont use ball valves to restrict them (I use $3 pwm speed controllers) and I never try to power them on less (or more) voltage or than they are speced for... they also require at least 1amp to function properly.
I also dont try to push solids through mine as many do apparently from reading and that will bind them up.

Just my 2 cents but since I have purchased and used 5 different varieties of dc pumps with no issues I'd say its got to be worth something.

I think you're probably right. I used an old electric train controller to power it and from day one it sounded bad...kind of a buzz or rattle. I tried another power supply but sounded the same. Not sure if it arrived bad or if the first power supply screwed something up.

Wow, I have never bothered with a Pump as it seemed to be too much expense for marginal benefit. Now you guys show me this, and I am going to enter the world of pumps. At that price I can't see why I shouldn't give it a shot.

Thanks!

Do you have any recommended power supplies for it?

Wow, I have never bothered with a Pump as it seemed to be too much expense for marginal benefit. Now you guys show me this, and I am going to enter the world of pumps. At that price I can't see why I shouldn't give it a shot.

Thanks!

Do you have any recommended power supplies for it?

There are lots of power supplies on eBay or amazon... I used a 3amp model that was $10 with shipping but you have lots of options.. since I use both 24v and 12v I now use a bigger 6a 24v power supply with a step down buck converter to make 12v from the 24v for the 12v stuff I still use on my electric brew control panel but no need to get that. Complicated.

You can find wall worts of power supplies for DC appliances at junk stores and thrift shops or even use an old PC power supply.... I also used a pwm DC motor speed control unit which range from like 3 to $10 each... these enable you to daily in an exact speed if needed.... ball valves will still work as long as you use them in line after the pump. I chose to not go that route though.

I should add that their are you tube videos of these pumps in action...

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suv3vqGnoFg[/ame]
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=artHgfhYkxw[/ame]
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPUtPO2qI9s[/ame]

There are lots of power supplies on eBay or amazon... I used a 3amp model that was $10 with shipping but you have lots of options.. since I use both 24v and 12v I now use a bigger 6a 24v power supply with a step down buck converter to make 12v from the 24v for the 12v stuff I still use on my electric brew control panel but no need to get that. Complicated.

You can find wall worts of power supplies for DC appliances at junk stores and thrift shops or even use an old PC power supply.... I also used a pwm DC motor speed control unit which range from like 3 to $10 each... these enable you to daily in an exact speed if needed.... ball valves will still work as long as you use them in line after the pump. I chose to not go that route though.

I should add that their are you tube videos of these pumps in action...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suv3vqGnoFg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=artHgfhYkxw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPUtPO2qI9s

I was thinking of adding a Whirlpool to my chiller. Can I not simply run a tube from the ball valve on the kettle to the inlet on the pump and then run the outlet of the pump the the Whirlpool, or will I need some kind of flow control?

I was thinking of adding a Whirlpool to my chiller. Can I not simply run a tube from the ball valve on the kettle to the inlet on the pump and then run the outlet of the pump the the Whirlpool, or will I need some kind of flow control?

yes as long as the valve is open all the way... if you restricttoo much flow to the pump it may cause cavitation.

Back