Which is a good Beer School?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOPCousin

Reaction score
I was doing my general nightly beer reading when I stumbled upon want ads for brewers and saw something about beer school. Are there reputable/well known beer schools out there? And if so what are the main ones?

UC Davis has a great fermentation science program. Also, Siebel Institute in Chicago is very good as well.

Oregon State also has a growing program... but yes UC Davis I think is the recognized leader for formal institutions and Siebel is its own thing

I was suggested the american brewers guild by the brew master of karl strauss. The great thing about that is you get to go on an apprenticeship in an actual brewry when you're done.

Boy, is brewing on a roll! After perusing their website, I notice that Siebel's Master Brewer Program (at $23K, includes trip for practical studies in Germany) is sold out for this year and next....

It's interesting to see the different institutions and approaches to brewing. The government has been getting behind the industry so it's going to be growing. Especially as part of a sustainable living model moving toward local economies and living. I would love to brew up a few barrels of Big Beer a week to sell locally.

im signed up for the january 2013 semester for the ABG and i decided to go with them cause it looks more hands-on from the looks of the syllabus. I also dont have to move which is a big plus.

thezepster said:
im signed up for the january 2013 semester for the ABG and i decided to go with them cause it looks more hands-on from the looks of the syllabus. I also dont have to move which is a big plus.

January 2013?????

That isn't even on my radar right now.

If that was the earliest you could get in, I'm not going to open a brewpub I'm going to open a school!!!

Back