Which ingredients for my first IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JosephLongbow

Reaction score
I wasn't interested in IPA's before but I've recently taken a liking to them. I want to come up with my own extract/partial recipe.

What is it that defines an IPA? For it to be an IPA what are the minimum base ingredients?

I would really like to use Columbus hops in the brew as one of the main hop additions.

Columbus works. Pale Malt Extract with maybe some Crystal 40L. Color can range for IPAs which the specialty grains will determine. There is a lot of information on styles by Googling or a number of books.

Just lots of hops, dry hop, etc. What IPAs are you drinking that you like, that may help more.

Well I had one recently that I really enjoyed and it spurred my creativity. It was a brew called 4C's from The Brew Kettle (http://www.thebrewkettle.com/beers/index.html).

The IBU range was perfect, and I guess this one is more of an APA, which is fine. It was delicious.

This would be the first recipe that I created on my own but it will be great when it comes out.

IPA is defined by the freshness and the hop clarity. At least it is to me. I want to smell the beer and be taken back to picking fresh cones right off the plant. If an IPA can do that it is pretty awesome. I like a variety from the dank Chinook/Columbus types to the super clean, fairly dry Amarillo/zythos/simcoe types. I think a regular IPA should be 7-7.5% and should have the hops to balance. I Dont like when they are driven by bitterness, but rather a balanced bitter with a huge nose a fantastic, fresh flavor.

These are all opinions and YMMV.

I've gotten some insane lime/tropical fruit notes from the IPA I recently brewed from all New Zealand hops, smells and tastes great.

Did one syringe of Hopshot extract for first wort hops, some Nelson Sauvin at 30 min, then added Pacifica, Moteuka and Wakatu at knockout.

Back