Which Induction Plate for Anvil Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rogue_Atom87

Reaction score
Recently received Anvil 5.5 kettle and used on last brew in house on stove. While mashing wife said smelled like brownies but as soon as hops went in I got the “you will be brewing outside from now on. That smells awful”

with that being said been looking at induction plates on Amazon and not sure which to get for the Anvil kettle size. I need a 120v as I do not have access to 240. Which models are best?

I use the Burton 110v for my HLT it takes 90 min to get 5 gal to 190* for sparging. Guess how long my mashes are. I think in Houston outside you should be ok. The cool thing about induction is you can insulate the pot. I use 2 wraps of reflectex and have a clear cover for my 5 gal pot( was my extract BK). On teach a buddy to brew day,which is first saturday in Nov I had to do it covered or it wouldn't boil. I currently cover my BK about 2/3 to reduce my evap rate and have not had any issues with DMS. On my 3500 watt unit I boil at 2300 watts 7-8 gals 2/3 covered.

“you will be brewing outside from now on. That smells awful”
So where is your new brewing area going to be?

First off, is your Anvil kettle Induction capable (magnetic)?
Tri-ply bottom or single ply?
I guess with your 5.5 gallon kettle you'll be doing 2.5-3 gallon batches? 1800W should be fine, but you may need to insulate the kettle, especially when brewing outside, which is no problem with induction heating. You can always add a brew stick, on an extension cord to a different circuit, if more heat is needed.

Those Avantco plates (Webstaurant.com) are pretty decent, even more at their price.
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/av...uction-range-cooker-120v-1800w/177IC1800.html
I have the 3500W version of that, but for that power you'll need 240V/20A:
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/av...on-range-cooker-208-240v-3500w/177IC3500.htmlI simply love it.
It took me a good half day to install a 240V line, to the kitchen. Never looked back, except, sometimes wish I ran 2 lines. ;)
Disclaimer, my wife "fully" supports my brewing hobby and the fruit it bears. I also own the kitchen, doing most of the cooking and cleanup.

They seem to have an even cheaper model now too:
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/av...ction-range-cooker-120v-1800w/177ICBTM20.htmlDon't know what the difference is, IRT brewing, but should work, fine too for $50. Maybe not as sturdy, more plastic?

New brewing area is out back under covered patio. I ended up going with 1800W Duxtop off Amazon. It will produce a boil but not a rolling boil like you would get with 240V. Still works well, I just need to adjust brew profile to match boil off. Didnt plan on this for recent batch and numbers got thrown off.

New brewing area is out back under covered patio. I ended up going with 1800W Duxtop off Amazon. It will produce a boil but not a rolling boil like you would get with 240V. Still works well, I just need to adjust brew profile to match boil off. Didnt plan on this for recent batch and numbers got thrown off.
Awesome!

You don't need a rolling boil, a simmer is fine or even better. A mere surface rippling is enough.
But indeed, your boil-off volume will be likely less, so yeah adjust that.

Put some insulation around the kettle, that will help keeping temps too. There is no open flame, so any insulation will work. Reflectix is often used. Or bubble wrap, or folded over lengthwise blankets or towels. That is, until you're chilling, then remove the insulation.

Back