Which Hops, When, and How Much???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I'm eager to brew my 5th beer (extract, 5 gallon batch), and I'd really appreciate some input regarding the hopping schedule.

I don't need it to be really bitter, but I do want a ridiculous juicy, exotic? flavor and aroma.

I'm planning on using 1 lb. each of: pilsner, carapils, and crystal 10, and adding 6 lbs or so of extra light LME, most likely.

For hops, I have: Motueka, Galaxy, Citra, Amarillo, Centennial, Ahtanum, Simcoe, Cascade, and 1 oz. of Mosaic. I've used Citra/Galaxy (bittered w/ Bravo) most recently, and Citra/Simcoe/Summit before that, so I'd prefer to try a different combination for this beer. I'm not quite at the point where I'm trying to nail down a recipe quite yet. One thing I'd prefer to do, and might before I brew this, is pick up some cheaper, high(er) AA hops, such as Summit, Warrior, Bravo, Columbus.

My plan was to use 1 oz. of a high AA (or equivalent 2 hops) to bitter, and be aggressive with additions of 2-4 hops at 15, flameout, and dry-hopping. However, I'm very open to suggestions for a hop schedule. I want juicy, tropical fruits, awesome aroma and flavor, and alcohol very much subdued, if possible.

Stone pale ale uses athanum. I would use simcoe for bittering then athanum about 30 mins. Then use citra,cascade at the end.

Also cheap high alpha hops I use are magnum. Its so clean which allows you to use it for bittering and then mess with other hops for flavor

My buddy brewed a ipa with all falconers flight hops and it is incredible. Probably the best ipa I've had and I love ipas

Thanks for the input so far, guys. Magnum and Falconer's Flight are on my radar, for sure.

I've heard mixed reviews on Motueka. Does it belong in a super hoppy pale ale? I'm considering a blend of Simcoe and Centennial, and wondering how to best use Amarillo and Motueka, especially.

I plan on using the same exact grain/malt bill for two beers, so I'll end up going with two different, yet both tropical and juicy, super-hoppy pale ales. Hopefully.

Latest posts

Back