Which hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abrayton

Reaction score
If you were going to brew a Belgian style Tripel with a single hop, which would it be and why?
Cheers

Are you planning on bittering with that same hop? Cuz for a tripel I like using Noble hops, but they dont have much in the AA category so you're not gonna get much bitterness from them. If it were me I would use magnum to bitter (wont contribute any flavor) and flavor/aroma with Saaz. I like the spiciness of saaz with belgian yeasts.

I've been mulling two or three different Tripel recipes from HBT and Beersmith. Just when I thought I had one picked out I got hooked on the idea of creating a SMASH Tripel with only pilsner malt, sugar, and a single hop. I'm leaning toward Saaz or Golding but am curious about other options.

So if you were going for the Brewers Association guidelines we are seeking low hop aroma if present, low flavor if present, and medium to medium-high bitterness (20-45 bus).

I just tapped a doubel using only styrian golding that I believe hit the mark (same as tripel only slightly less bitter - I shot for 20ish IBUs). I did add some at 20 minutes and 5 minutes without any pronounced aroma or flavor.

If I was doing a tripel I would up the bittering amount to be north of 30 IBUs closer to 40 and welcome it's subtle sweet spice in the late additions.

I am sure there are other hops that would do, but as a single hop, styrian golding is one that I would not hesitate to use in a tripel. I'm with porterpnnder on this.

I'm planning to brew one soon using Santiam. I would use Mt Hood, but I'm about out of it.

Styrian Golding should be fine. or Sterling. Or just about any noble hops. Probably not Cascade ;)

Styrian Goldings is an excellent choice for a traditional tripel. I will also throw in a vote for Strisselspalt. Or, if you like new world hops, Nelson Sauvin.

Thanks for all of the feedback! Perhaps I could get some advice/critique of the recipe I put together. This is my first attempt so I'm sure some things are way off.
Cheers!

Belgian Tripel
5.5 gallon ABV 9.89%
OG 1.082 FG 1.008
IBUs 34.1 SRM 4.7

14lb Belgian Pilsner (2 Row)
1.56lb table sugar
2oz Styrian Goldings (60 min)
1oz Styrian Goldings (5 min)
WLP530 slurry
Mash 148 for 90 min
Single infusion batch sparge
Boil 90 min

Why are you mashing so long and at such a low temperature? I'm planning to mash my tripel on the high-side (about 154) But maybe you've got it right and I'm wrong...

Why are you mashing so long and at such a low temperature? I'm planning to mash my tripel on the high-side (about 154) But maybe you've got it right and I'm wrong...

What popciclian said. It's just what I've come across as I've researched the style + I don't have the experience or best equipment set up for multiple infusions

Okay, thanks for the info. I thought the sugar would dry it out, and I should mash high so there would be a little body left since there's no dextrin malt.

Thanks for all of the feedback. This turned out by far the best beer I've brewed to date. Simple and straight forward. Will definitely be a regular rotation at my house!

Back