which hop for pale ale??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alcibiades

Reaction score
I've got Willamete, Czech Saaz, and German Northern Brewer. Which one do I use for a light, but hop forward pale ale? I'd like to use just one hop type, but I'm open to whatever.

Malt bill will be something like:

2 row, amber malt, crystal 10L. OG of 1.040-1.045 or so.

are you planning to use any particular yeast strain?

are you going for any particular style of PA, english or american?

Of those three i would think the saaz might be too light, but im by no means an expert.

I would probably use the n. brewer if I was forced to choose between those three... but I think there are better candidates out there.

maybe do a google search for hop characteristics... see which one sounds best, and brew away.

happy brewing.

edit: actually, I did some reading and it sounds like saaz might be ok... Willamette seems like an aroma and flavor hop. N. brewer is a general purpose hop with what sounds like little aroma or flavor contribution compared with other varieties.

the other thing you could do is scan the highly rated PA recipes here on HBT, see if any of those three hop varieties are used.

bitter it with northern brewer and finish it with saaz and willamete.

If you want it hop forward you would need to use quite a bit of finishing hops.....I am not a fan of the flavor and aroma of northern brewer so I would bitter with that.

Bitter with NB, flavor/aroma with Willy. I wouldn't use Saaz.

bitter it with northern brewer and finish it with saaz and willamete.

If you want it hop forward you would need to use quite a bit of finishing hops.....I am not a fan of the flavor and aroma of northern brewer so I would bitter with that.

there you go.. I was thinking only one variety.. haha.

see, so much to learn.

Bitter with NB, flavor/aroma with Willy. I wouldn't use Saaz.

I made a pale ale that I dry hopped with a ton of saaz once, that turned out nice actually. But I do see what you are saying, saaz is so subtle that it could easily get lost.

Heck, an all willamatte pale ale could be very nice too....personally in my APA I like a citrussy american hop in the finish. Amarillo especially

Latest posts

Back