Which has the better efficiency?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewingRugger

Reaction score
I am trying to improve my efficiency, thinking of changing the design of my mash tun. Which give you the better effficiency, a SS braide, pvc or cooper maniford, or a false bottom?

Mash efficiency is indeed partially to do with getting wort out of the tun, but very much to do with converting sugar when the wort is in the tun. This is not as dependent on the mash tun design, other than insulation characteristics.

If you hit the right strike temperature, stir your mash properly at dough-in, have a constant temperature profile through the mash, and sparge it (I batch sparge and it makes it quite easy - you add your sparge water and give it a good stir between sparge steps), you will get good mash efficiency.

I personally like the false bottom mash tun design, but the process is going to be way more important than the design to boost your efficiency.

What mash efficiency are you getting at the moment?

BrewingRugger said:
I am trying to improve my efficiency, thinking of changing the design of my mash tun. Which give you the better effficiency, a SS braide, pvc or cooper maniford, or a false bottom?

Depends on how you sparge. If you batch sparge (or no sparge), whatever allows you to drain the most wort out of the mash tun would technically be the most efficient, but the difference is so small, that it really shouldn't be part of the criteria. The choice of the MLT vessel itself will make a much bigger difference with regards to how much wort is left over, but even then, the effect on overall efficiency still won't be that substantial. Either way I personally prefer a stainless braid for batch sparging.

If you fly sparge, then technically a false bottom has the POTENTIAL to be the most efficient, but the actual design of the manifold or false bottom is ultimately what determines it - a decent manifold design will do better than a mediocre false bottom. But braids should be avoided altogether.

Like Murray asked, what is your efficiency now?

Also, what type of mash tun design do you currently have?

How are you mashing/sparging?

Are you hitting your OG's?

As far as mash tun design, my opinion is a braided line and batch sparge is the way to go. I use a rectangular cooler and the braided line extends almost the entire length of the cooler and the spigot is set in a channel lower than the floor of the cooler.

jetmac said:
As far as mash tun design, my opinion is a braided line and batch sparge is the way to go. I use a rectangular cooler and the braided line extends almost the entire length of the cooler and the spigot is set in a channel lower than the floor of the cooler.

My Coleman Xtreme Ultimate is the exact same. That channel allows it to drain all but a few tablespoons :rockin:

jetmac said:

Yes same here and I usually get 80% efficiency, but my range with my setup is 78-86%.

Yes same here and I usually get 80% efficiency, but my range with my setup is 78-86%.

And you really don't want more than that or it starts to become astringent, and most recipes are probably designed around 67%-72%

I was averaging around 70% with my SS Braid set-up and jumped to around 80% when I installed a copper manifold. I try not to run over 80% now.

The only way your manifold will affect efficiency is based on how little wort is left behind at the end of the sparge. All of those manifolds can be equally efficient - it depends on the vessel and how it drains. If you are relying on a siphon to drain the liquid (drain on side), then a rigid manifold is the way to go. If your vessel has the drain at the lowest point, then it doesn't really matter what kind you use.

I have a 10 gal drink cooler with a SS braid and I batch sparge. For some reason I get a about 58% efficiency on a good day but I range as low as 47%. I don't if it is my tun or my technique. Just tryin to find ways to get better.

I have a 10 gal drink cooler with a SS braid and I batch sparge. For some reason I get a about 58% efficiency on a good day but I range as low as 47%. I don't if it is my tun or my technique. Just tryin to find ways to get better.

Improve your crush! This is the most common cause of low efficiency. I like to crush my malt within an inch of it's life. As long as you have good husks remaining, the only drawback to a fine crush is possible dough balls when mashing in. I condition my malt with ~ 100 ml of water per 8-9 lbs of grain just before milling and get nice large pieces of husk

Back