Which gravity reading is good...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bzwyatt

Reaction score
I brewed a 5-gallon batch yesterday, measured the gravity with refractometer of the wort after sparge was done and all wort collected, right when I turned the heat up to start the boil, OWG was 1.047. Volume went from ~6.9 gal to 5 gal in the hour-long full boil. I forgot to take a gravity reading before pitching and covering carboy. When I realized it during cleanup, I went back and took a sample with some tubing. This gravity reading was 1.057.

I anticipated a gravity reading of 1.060, and if I increase gravity by the ratio the volume decreased, I get ~1.060.

5/6.9=0.725

2-0.725=1.275 (does that work to determine the increase in gravity?)

1.275(47)=59.94 (can I multiply the increase by the OWG to find calculated OG?)

I should probably get Daniels' book out, I am pretty sure I could find it there... but can you let me know if I'm right?

I think it is possible that some of the dissolved sugar settled, because my tubing just dipped into the wort, so my sample came from the top inch, and I think that gravity reading may be off.

So if my original reading was right, my OWG (I call it that - original wort gravity, not sure if that is a 'real' term I read somewhere, or if it is just what I call it because it makes sense in my brewing journal) or 1.047, and the volumes are accurate, then my OG has to be 1.065.

Right?

There is some error that could be introduced by gravity readings and volume measurements. My final OG is close but never exactly what I would predict from my pre-boil OG. I think it got closer since I more accurately marked my "measuring" mash paddle.

And perhaps the yeast took it down a couple points already? They eat sugar when they are multiplying too.

Back