Which grain mill to buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my efficiency went up a bit when i got my 3 roller monster mill.
gotta have a big drill to run it. the battery on my 14v cordless drill died in about 90 seconds the first time i tried to run it...

with the gap at .38 or .40" i was getting about 72% efficiency, the crush looked like this.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3448/4605330054_f298edfaa5_o.jpg

i moved the gap down to .36" and now i'm right around 80% efficiency. i have no desire to try to get my efficiency any higher.

the mill was shipped fast and easy to assemble. works fine. i'm sure it will last a very long time.

80% is just fine IMO. I'm always very skeptical when I read reports of very high efficiency and I don't chase it myself. I'm happy to know what to expect and I deal with it. I'm an inefficient brewer in more ways than one.:D

my efficiency went up a bit when i got my 3 roller monster mill.
gotta have a big drill to run it. the battery on my 14v cordless drill died in about 90 seconds the first time i tried to run it...
the mill was shipped fast and easy to assemble. works fine. i'm sure it will last a very long time.
How long did it take to show up? I ordered this up last week, and while I hardly expected it to be here already, I haven't heard a peep from them since placing my order, not even a generic "We've received your order, and will be shipping it out at some point" message?

I'm planning on slapping a motor on there, as opposed to running a drill. Really like the idea of just being able to load up the hopper, flick a switch, and walking away, as opposed to sitting there holding the drill! Been thinking about how best to do it, and have decided on a gear motor from Surplus direct. I really don't want to futz around with foot-wide sheaves, and am thinking this one *should* do the job: https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=5-1098

How long did it take to show up? I ordered this up last week, and while I hardly expected it to be here already, I haven't heard a peep from them since placing my order, not even a generic "We've received your order, and will be shipping it out at some point" message?

I'm planning on slapping a motor on there, as opposed to running a drill. Really like the idea of just being able to load up the hopper, flick a switch, and walking away, as opposed to sitting there holding the drill! Been thinking about how best to do it, and have decided on a gear motor from Surplus direct. I really don't want to futz around with foot-wide sheaves, and am thinking this one *should* do the job: https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=5-1098

can't remember exactly how long it was. maybe 3-4 business days.
can't remember if i ever got a confirmation email...

Could you post on the forum (in this post or elsewhere) when you get the motor? I saw that same motor and am thinking of running my Crankandstein off of it. Anyone else have experience with it?

Could you post on the forum (in this post or elsewhere) when you get the motor? I saw that same motor and am thinking of running my Crankandstein off of it. Anyone else have experience with it?
It looks to be (spec-wise) right for running a mill. The RPMs are in the right range (150-250), the voltage (obviously) is fine, and a 1/2" shaft - my only concern is the torque. 40 inch pounds SHOULD be okay to run a grain mill, the only concern I'd have is starting the motor with the mill loaded.

I just received my MM3-2. Just thought I'd pass this on, I received a package by USPS on Friday. Anxiously opened it up when I got home from work Saturday AM. And was surprised to find only a base and hopper, no mill. Bummer. So I called of course it was Saturday and received no answer.

Saturday mail comes and what do you know another USPS package. Heavier than the first. And walla Monster Mill.

So don't be surprised when it comes in two packages.

It is a BEAST of a mill.

Sweeeeeet, Ron. Although I only opted for the baby brother, with the 1.5" rollers. I'm starting to wonder if it'll be big enough (haha)...

What're you motorizing that behemoth with? (Or did you go for the hand crank?!)

Not sure yet. I want to motorize it but need to figure out what will pull it. For now I have a Milwaukee Angle drill that will power it.

Truth be told you probably made a better choice. The 2" rollers are complete overkill and likely never be used to it's potential. But WTF that's the way I roll. The next owner will get a hell of a mill.

Not sure yet. I want to motorize it but need to figure out what will pull it. For now I have a Milwaukee Angle drill that will power it.

Truth be told you probably made a better choice. The 2" rollers are complete overkill and likely never be used to it's potential. But WTF that's the way I roll. The next owner will get a hell of a mill.
The way you roll. Ahahahahaha....

Yeah, I'm thinking 1.5" rollers are plenty big for someone who brews 2-3 times a month. And like someone else pointed out earlier, THAT'S probably overkill too.

But the motorizing thing is what's got me scratching my head now, and what the best way to do it is gonna be. Until then, like you, I go with the drill...

Truth be told, 2" and larger rollers are better. The pinch angle is narrower and because of this, the rollers grab the grain better. The grain also stays in contact with the rollers longer as it passes between the rollers and that is supposed to produce a better crush. This is easy to visualize if you take it to the extreme and imagine if the rollers were really huge. This is mostly academic though, particularly on the home brewing scale. You can produce good grist with any of the available malt mills if you use them properly.

I bought a MM3 with stainless rollers and have crushed with it once. I find my rollers are 'traveling' so I need to get in touch with Fred. May need a gasket or something, I guess.

I only crushed once, so user error may be the culprit.

It is a beefy MF, though, for sure. Just gonna take some use to get things right.

Fred was great and mailed it out the morning he went on vacation. Now dat's soyvice!

EDIT: My first crush came out extremely good even though I was "playing" the adjustment knobs like an instrument (to get it to crush at all) along with the drill. What started as a "oh, crap I may not be brewing today" ended up very good. Of note- Fred emailed to me that he himself uses a 2 roller. It's not like he doesn't have the choice.

Latest posts

Back