Which Freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttumachy

Reaction score
I've been reading the forum for a while but never posted until now. Been brewing for over a year and getting tired of bottling! Decided a keezer would be a better option than dropping a lot of cash on the kegerator that can only hold 1-2 kegs. I already have two ball valve kegs waiting. Plan is to devote 1 tap to root beer for the pregnant wife and have the rest of the room to grow into with different kegs.

I've narrowed down to two freezers, the idylis 7 cu ft that lowes has on sale for $189 (+10% off with coupon) or the igloo 7.2 cu ft that best buy has in sale for $189. It seems to me that the idylis has a much more sturdy top but I think it will only fit four kegs vs. the igloo's 5. Any input on either of these? Pro's /con's?

Thanks for any inside you can offer

-Darren

I would go with the 'more room for kegs' option.

+1

More room is always better, even if you don't plan on using all the space. When I built my 3-tap kegerator, I bought a chest freezer with "just enough" room for 3 kegs and a CO2 tank/regulator/splitter assembly. It all fits, but man, it sure can be a PITA maneuvering everything during keg changes and line-cleaning. I wish I had gotten a bigger unit just for the extra space to maneuver/wiggle room.

I would go with the 'more room for kegs' option.

+1 for the extra room

I advise you searching craigslist to find a freezer. That is how i came across mine...especially if you plan to build a surround. dents/scratches will all be hidden and you will spend way less $

Check the Equipment section... I posted some info about how to get the Kenmore 8.8 CU FT freezer at Sears for $250.

+1 for the extra room

I advise you searching craigslist to find a freezer. That is how i came across mine...especially if you plan to build a surround. dents/scratches will all be hidden and you will spend way less $

I've been keeping an eye out on craigslist for a couple weeks now and the best I've found is $75 for an old beat up one that looked like it was on it's last leg. I do plan on building a surround for it so the dents/dings don't bother me, but the extra $100 seems worth it for a brand new unused unit.

The extra room is what I'm leaning towards, especially since the top will be re-inforced with the build out. I plan on a total of 3 kegs up front with room to add two additional ones as I see fit. Makes the build cheaper as I don't have to buy everything at once.

Back