Which Freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTBbrewer

Reaction score
I am trying to decide if I should make my keezer out of a large upright freezer or a chest freezer. Does anyone have pros and cons on either option?

Upright Freezer
Pros: no height issues, no need to make collar, smaller footprint
Cons: not as much room inside, be careful you get an upright you can remove the shelves from (it's very common to have the coils run through the shelves), it's slightly more difficult/dangerous to drill the door for the taps (vs a collar), the taps on the door are less stable because the door swings

Chest Freezer
Pros: lots of space inside, if you're handy you can turn it into a nice piece of furniture, the collar is easy to drill for taps, the collar is a very stable place to mount taps
Cons: Height (need to make a collar, including wood and insulation), it can be difficult to get a good seal with the collar (which leads to condensation & mold), larger footprint

Both usually require some sort of fan for optimal performance.

abarnett pretty much layed it out nicely! I chose chest for the reasons he stated plus, I was thinking it would be a hassle moving kegs and hoses to get to the empty keg in the back of an upright! As far as foot prints, I'd be more concerned with home brew flatulance!

chest freezer is nice as mentioned to get kegs in and out of. I use a standup in the garage during the summer, but I cannot think of any pros to this setup.

Back