Which freestanding outdoor projector screen type is better - inflatable or frame?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jp1316

Reaction score
I'm visiting some family on the Big Island in a few days and I always like to bring a gift for letting me stay at their place. So this year I thought I would get a projector screen since they have a nice projector, but no screen (we usually just use a white wall somewhere). I've never bought a projector screen before, so I'm not really sure what to look for and am hoping someone on here can give me some advice. I want this to a be a fairly large one (~12ft) that is freestanding and meant to be used outdoors (the weather there is fairly nice after all, ha). Ideally I'd like it to cost less than $175 and it needs to be available at walmart or some other big box store so I can use the ship to store feature and pick it up on the island.

I like the inflatable ones (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Deluxe-Outdoor-Inflatable-Movie-Screen/7983503), but I'm worried about fan noise (although the reviews put me somewhat at ease about that since we use 1 or 2 bluetooth speakers with the projector) and about the wind since it can get fairly windy in that area. But I do like that it is raised, has an adjustable viewing angle (not exactly sure how that is adjusted though) and comes in a larger size than other freestanding screen options.

The other option I've found is one with a frame - http://www.walmart.com/ip/Elite-Screens-OMS120H-120-Yard-Master-Series/21344073. Seems more stable, but it doesn't say if it has an adjustable viewing angle like the inflatable one does (we might watch the movies from the raised deck, while the screen is down in the yard since it tends to rain a fair amount there). Also, I'm not sure how well this breaks down for storage. But it seems like it would work better with the wind and I like that it does not need electricity or produce fan noise.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these types of screens? Any recommendations or tips? Thanks for whatever guidance you can provide and of course Happy Thanksgiving!

Back