Which flavors would go well with a wheat beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would try them all. Just brew a 5 gallon batch (without any flavor) and add the flavoring by the drop to the glass. That way you can see which one you like and how much it would take to flavor a whole batch without being overpowering.

I've done both an apricot and a watermelon wheat beer. Go real easy on the extract flavoring or it will turn out extract-flavoring-flavored. Trust me.

i make a raspberry and blackberry wheat that is pretty popular.

I've only used flavor extracts once and it left a synthetic taste that eas unpleasant. If you have the additional funds I would recommend fresh or frozen fruit.

My AG apricot Belgian came out really good. It was a 5 gal. batch. I did a 10-day secondary on pure apricot puree and then at bottling added 4 oz. Brewer's Best Apricot Extract. To me, it's a little alcohol-y/medicinal, although everyone else who's had it really enjoys it. If I do it again, I think I'd cut back the extract to a more subtle level, maybe 2.5 - 3 oz..

Smoke - beechwood, cherrywood or perhaps some other fruitwood.

Peat or mesquite might be a little too funky for wheat beers; but then again, anything is worth a try, once.

Back