Which Cooler . . .

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pava

Reaction score
So I have seen a lot of different coolers mentioned (to be used as an MLT) but 2 different brand names and styles have seemed to emerge as the most popular. . . The Rubbermaid and the Coleman Extreme.

So I need an MLT and am looking at converting one of these guys. . .either the 10 gallon Rubbermaid or the 52 qt Coleman Extreme.

Just a little more data, I am planning on doing 5 gallon batches and definitely planning on doing some big beers. . . I don't foresee upgrading to 10 gallon batches anytime soon, although I could see that happening in the future.

At this point I am leaning toward the Coleman because it is actually cheaper and it has the channel drain which seems like it would help a little bit with the deadspace.
Anyway, just wanted to throw this out there and get some opinions of those who have used them.

Thanks

I use a colman extream 70 qt cooler and made a manifold out of cpvc that works great and can do big beer in 5 gallon sized batches and easily do 10 gallon batches. There is no real difference in brand, price is the driving factor. I recomend to go bigger then you currently need, because as soon as you see how easy 5 gallons are to make, there is little difference in doing 10 gallon batches.

well, I found the 52 qt at Sears for $30 and the 70qt at Walmart for $38, I can spare an extra $8. My concern is that since I plan to do 5 gallon batches at first (and they will not all be big beers) the 70 qt would be too big. . .I was actually concerned that the 52 qt would be too big.

I am planning on batch sparging and I am planning on using a stainless steel braid as a filter. If I can use the 70 qt for regular beers in a 5 gallon batch with no problem, then I will definitely go bigger now just so I don't have to upgrade the MLT when I want to go to 10 gallons. Thoughts??

I was wondering about this too. I am planning on starting out with batch sparging but I'd eventually like to go fly sparging. Will the cylindrical cooler be better for this than a rectangular cooler?

I've seen the 70qt extreme cooler used for 5 gallon batches with absolutely no problems at all. The only concern would be heat loss, and the Coleman extreme has no problems with this.

Brew Dude said:
I was wondering about this too. I am planning on starting out with batch sparging but I'd eventually like to go fly sparging. Will the cylindrical cooler be better for this than a rectangular cooler?

You can build a fly sparge set-up in a rectangular cooler. No issues there.

Back