Which cooler for MLT?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Germelli1

Reaction score
I can't decide which one would be better for me. I brew 5 gallon batches, so that is my main consideration.

The red one is an Igloo Island breeze. It has far more features and I really like the location of the drain. Even though it is a more advance model than the blue one, it was cheaper (walmart vs. lowes). My main concern is the width. I am not sure if this will negatively affect the grainbed so this is where I am looking for the most input

The blue one is an Igloo cube. I don't like it as much because it is lighter, the lid has cupholders which means poor insulation in those four spots, it is more expensive despite being a lesser model than the red and the drain is in a poor location. It is less wide and a little taller which I thing makes it a better candidate for 5 gallon batches.

They are both 60 qt since the 48 qt igloo doesn't come with a drain.

736-cooler1.jpg

735-0830102300.jpg

I am hoping my manifold design can make up for the wider space of the red cooler but any guidance is greatly appreciated!

i've been using a 60qt rectangular cooler for a long time, and it's about time for me to change. after doing tons of research and asking friends, i hear the igloo 60qt ice cube is the way to go for the depth of the grainbed

Batch sparging or fly sparging? If batch sparging the shape really won't matter much, so I'd go with the cheaper / better drain position red cooler. If fly sparging either one will work, but the blue one may be slightly better, especially with smaller grain bills.

I am going to be using the "hybrid Technique" from the sticky, so fly sparging. I am planning on building a manifold custom to whichever one I choose so I am hoping that will help with the grain bed differences

I have the 48qt red island breeze. It has worked great for me batch sparging and making 5 gallon batches. I just drilled a hole for my drain and use a braid. If i were you i'd go with the island breeze, but i don't know a lot about the sparging differences.

I can't decide which one would be better for me. I brew 5 gallon batches,

For five gallons, 28 qt is a nice size IMO. 60 seems large for five gallon batches. For me, using something bigger than you need means mor work moving it and cleaning...plus all the dead space. This cooler and a simple braid set up, all you need, IMO of course.
http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/productdetails.aspx?sku=8124703&source=GoogleBase
Just to put it into persepective, at 1 qt/lb, a 60 qt cooler can mash 45 lbs of grain...that's a lot of grain! A 20 qt can handle a five gallon batch up to 1.060.

Coolers without drains can be drilled as well if you have a drill or a handy friend. Sorry, but neither of those coolers would be my choice for 5 gallon batches. Toooo big. Oh, and first batch, I would stick to a simple batch sparge method...save the hybrid fly whatever shenanigans for when you have a little experience. Yea, maybe this can gain you a few points??? could also eff up a noob big time.

i already have a good 40qt i use for 5g (doesn't get used much). i'm switching to fly sparging, so i'm going with the ice cube as a replacement, as 80% or more of my brews are 11g. already have the parts for the copper manifold; going to sweat it together this weekend (sweat both physically and with the solder torch - it'll be in the 90's here again)

Thank so much for the input everyone. I ended up returning the 2 60 qt. coolers and bought a 28 qt. Island breeze (small version of the red one up there) on sale for $15. Only downside is I have to drill it!

Oh, and first batch, I would stick to a simple batch sparge method...save the hybrid fly whatever shenanigans for when you have a little experience. Yea, maybe this can gain you a few points??? could also eff up a noob big time.

I actually feel more comfortable and understand the hybrid technique better than the batch sparging. It may be all those heat/mass transfer and fluid dynamics classes, but it just makes more sense to me.

Ok, been a while, but back in the old days fluid dynamics taught me that the wort will leave the tun by the path of least resistance, so in a rectangular cooler, those slots in the manifold closest to the drain will recieve more flow, and that will increase the faster the tun is drained. Ok maybe small slots near the drain and large ones at the far end of the cooler....OMG too much science, yea, maybe that's why I'm a batch sparger on the braid.

Happy brewing :mug:

Thank so much for the input everyone. I ended up returning the 2 60 qt. coolers and bought a 28 qt. Island breeze (small version of the red one up there) on sale for $15. Only downside is I have to drill it!

I think you made a good choice. I have a 36 qt Igloo rectangular MLT, and it is just about the perfect size for 5 gallons. I use the braid, and hit my efficiencies easily, or exceed them.

Ok, so here is my manifold so far (note many of the pieces need to be rotated so ignore that)
47277_1244231997251_1572900985_30999062_6193175_n.jpg

I decided to drill my hole for the exit on the side of the cooler. Anyone see any problems with that?

Also I have been racking my brain for a way to make the entire drain manifold system (particularly the ball valve) out of CPVC but I can't figure out how to ensure there are no leak issues. Is there anyway to do this or do I need the threaded brass pieces for it to work?

IMO you need some threaded fittings to compress the cooler wall in order to create a secure water tight bulkhead, but they don't need to be brass. Some threaded cpvc fittings would work just fine. One of these, one of these, and maybe a rubber washer should be all you need unless the cooler walls are really thick. There are countless ways to create a bulkhead fitting, and I'm sure there's a way to create yours out of cpvc.

Back