Which cooler for a MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam's Apples

Reaction score
Ok, I'm looking at a Igloo Legend 34 quart, Coleman Extreme 36 quart or Igloo Ice Cube 48 quart as being in my DIY mash/lauter tun shortlist.

The first two have holes already made from what I can see online, but the ice cube doesn't appear to have. I like the look of the ice cube though as it's more square whereas the other are rectangular and I'm thinking it may help keep a good depth of grain bed.

Anyone familiar with these models or already use them? What do you reckon is best? I will be batch sparging with cpvc manifold hopefully.

The Ice Cube does have a drain hole. Not familiar with the Legend. The Extreme is well insulated which is good. I use a Gott Industrial round cooler for my Mash Tun, I have an Ice Cube and it's a good cooler not as good as an extreme or a Max Cold.

I'd recommend at least a 10 gal or 40 quart cooler but that just my opinion

The Ice Cube does have a drain hole. Not familiar with the Legend. The Extreme is well insulated which is good. I use a Gott Industrial round cooler for my Mash Tun, I have an Ice Cube and it's a good cooler not as good as an extreme or a Max Cold.

I'd recommend at least a 10 gal or 40 quart cooler but that just my opinion

Thanks for the advice. I like the extreme after looking more and quite a few guides seem to use or suggest this as an MLT.

Think I'm gonna get this and try and construct a cpvc manifold.

Cheers

Igloo maxcold or coleman extreme?!?

I will be ordering one of these bad boys online, so only have the pictures and description to go by. Anybody that has experience or anecdotal advice about either will be helping me make this tough decision :ban:

I want to get the best one for the job and both are within my budget.

Cheers

Back