which capper is best?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cardiac_cadet002

Reaction score
in ya'lls opinion, which is better and why? A hand held bottle capper or a bench capper? If you go bench capper is an old cast iron a good way to go?

I have the red baron "Emily" capper, which is a basic plastic "butterfly" type capper.

capper-red-baron.jpg

It caps the bottles very well, but the drawback is that you have to use both hands on the capper. I can be a bit annoying when you are surrounded by a sea of bottles full of your precious brew, and you need to maneuver one away from the herd so you have room to swing the handles down w/o knocking the others over.

On the other hand, a bench capper takes up more room. If that's not a problem, I'd go with a good bench capper.

bench capper for sure - i used a wing capper for about a year until i broke a bud light bottle.
now i know in a perfect world we would not use twist-off bottles - but i use what i can get my hands on.
the bench capper works on all bottles and i haven't broken a bottle since i bought it- and it was only $19.99 canadian.

dibby33 said:
Bench capper. Screw the base down onto some hardwood to make a weighty base. Easy to use.

Ditto. Until I start kegging, this is what I use when I run out of flip-tops. Never have a problem.

Do yourself a huge favor and spend the extra $10 (or so) for the SuperAgata. No complaints with that baby here.

Latest posts

Back